Is Artificial Light Stressful to the Flock?

TheChiggens

The Cluckmazing Guy
Jul 7, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I've wondered this and haven't used artificial light because I've heard it can be stressful.
Is this a myth?
I know normally people use it to keep hens laying throughout the winter. But it seems like this unnatural light would somehow affect there laying pattern or health.
For example, this factory farm has constant light.
LED-lighting-applied-to-the-field-of-poultry.jpg

But don't quote me on this. Does anyone know?

Does it have constant light?
Usually they control the lighting very carefully,
a dark period is needed for egg production.
24/7 light would indeed be stressful.

I know normally people use it to keep hens laying throughout the winter.
Many do, many do not.

Using lights for winter laying can be stressful and not healthy, depends on how it is used. It would be the year round constant laying that is unhealthy for the birds, they need a break to replenish their bodies and to molt.

The lights are on in my coops 24/7. They still go to roost when it gets dark outside and sleep just fine till dawn. They still quit laying in winter as well regardless of the lights being on.

I use a white 60-watt incandescent floodlight for hatched chicks in the house.
I use white 250-watt heat bulbs if I use a heat bulb for chicks kept in a coop. I don't use red bulbs unless I run out of white. (There are still reds from the previous owner)

I use a 5000K 60-watt equivalent LED bulb in the coops and the lights are turned on for the nights in colder weather. (-25C and colder)

All birds have access to daylight. Both chicks and adults prepare for the dark and sleep during the night regardless of the lights being on.

Not exactly the same, but I worked in a biosecure, high health hog facility where there were no windows. They did have a light schedule of lights being off at night. They were awake before we arrived at 6 am and anticipated being fed.

Back
Top Bottom