Is 22 percent protein too much?

MommyGirl

Crowing
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Hello everyone! I usually feed flockraiser 20 percent to my flock but for the last 4 months at my tractor supply the flockraiser has been more than 6 months old so I started buying the nutrena meat bird food and it’s 22 percent protein. Is that ok atleast for awhile until they get some newer flockraiser?

In my experience either one is more protein than they need but it shouldn't hurt them. I've raised a mixed flock of chickens and guinea fowl and the guineas needed game bird starter which is 22 to 24% protein and I didn't notice that it created any problems for the chicks or in the birds when they were adults.

Normally I feed them 16% layer crumbles, plus whatever they get foraging while they free-range.

I recall a member on here citing a study claiming the highest success rate of incubated eggs came from birds who were fed 22% protein feeds. It was a pretty interesting conversation, but of course I can't find it now. Anyway, mine have been on 22% chick feed all winter and they've not stopped laying since going on that feed. I use Modesto though not Nutrena.

Not to hijack your thread, but I had a similar question. I have 8 week old pullets (layers, not meat birds) and I started them on kalmbach non-medicated 18% chick started feed. A few weeks ago my feed store was out of the kalmbach so they suggested McNess 23% chick/duck starter instead. I didn't realize till last night that that's typically a feed for meat birds. I googled whether it was ok for my birds and most websites said that's too much protein and can damage their kidneys. Then I come here and everyone is like "the more protein the better!" 🤪
So which is it? Do I need to rush out and change their feed to a lower protein or are they fine at 23%? Should I change it as they get older?
Also, if it makes a difference, I've been fermenting their feed from the start. They LOVE it and can't seem to eat it fast enough. I also have them in the run most days which has a dirt floor half overgrown with weeds at the moment, so they're able to forage/free range. Once they're old enough I'll let them out to free range on 5 acres. Will more or less protein matter then?
Thanks for any advice.

Not to hijack your thread, but I had a similar question. I have 8 week old pullets (layers, not meat birds) and I started them on kalmbach non-medicated 18% chick started feed. A few weeks ago my feed store was out of the kalmbach so they suggested McNess 23% chick/duck starter instead. I didn't realize till last night that that's typically a feed for meat birds. I googled whether it was ok for my birds and most websites said that's too much protein and can damage their kidneys. Then I come here and everyone is like "the more protein the better!" 🤪
So which is it? Do I need to rush out and change their feed to a lower protein or are they fine at 23%? Should I change it as they get older?
Also, if it makes a difference, I've been fermenting their feed from the start. They LOVE it and can't seem to eat it fast enough. I also have them in the run most days which has a dirt floor half overgrown with weeds at the moment, so they're able to forage/free range. Once they're old enough I'll let them out to free range on 5 acres. Will more or less protein matter then?
Thanks for any advice.
I’ve been feeding mine 20 percent protein for 4 years and sometimes when my store is out of stock or the feed is more than 3 months old I will by a bag of the 22 percent protein meat bird.Which I think is fine since I don’t won’t to feed 17 percent protein layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom