Is 2,500 ft. Spools of Binder Twine Available in Your Area ?

sandburRanch

Songster
Mar 2, 2022
As a kid on the farm ( 1940"s ) we used a lot of Binder Twine for various needs other than binding bundled hay . If we needed a rope of any size and length we made it of Binder Twine . The machine we made to make the rope was designed by older uncles , made of material we had there on the farm and very basic , but it sufficed .

In my later retirement years i discovered cast iron rope making equipment was available then , but we were self sufficient and really didn't need it and one couldn't trade eggs and cream for rope making equipment as we did for groceries . Now for my retirement enjoyment i do make wooden rope makers and on occasion donate one to Scouting Troops that are interested in that type of projects .

Do you have a picture of the rope making machine your uncles made?

I usually braided the binder twine if I wanted a bigger rope. Actually, I braided it anyway and sometimes found a use for it. Mostly, if we wanted a bigger rope, we bought it bigger.

My grandpa would fix the cut ends whether they were straight ends or loops. He showed me how but I need a lot more practice to get it as tight and smooth as he did. His were beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom