Iowa towns which allow chickens in town and the specifics

When we bought our house in West Des Moines the info we found on backyard chickens was that you cou l d have them, they couldn't run free, no roosters and the set back from neighbors. We found the info online through the city site. Now 3 years later we can find nothing. Does anyone know what the current ordinance is where we can find it and if our chickens will be grandfathered in if it has changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Since I wrote the ordinance for Mason City I am very familiar with it. Up to 25 chickens, rabbits, other fowl and roosters are allowed. There are some setback requirements for the coop and containment is required, fencing, enclosed run, etc.
Here is the wording in our ordinance:

-4-4: KEEPING OF RABBITS OR POULTRY:
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or raise more than a combined total of twenty five (25) rabbits, chickens or other poultry in any Z2 sub-urban district or Z3 general urban district, except where the occupant shall be in possession of at least two (2) acres of ground for the carrying on of farming or poultry raising operations.

B. Where permitted, rabbits or poultry shall be kept within enclosures set back at least ten feet (10') from any lot line and at least thirty five feet (35') from any residence on adjoining property or city right of way. (Ord. 14-11, 9-16-2014)

Last edited:
Hi All
I considering buying a house and moving to Le Claire, Iowa. I know that Davenport just approved having a small flock. Does anyone know about the ordinance in Le Claire? the two houses I am looking at are both zone RR and both are more than 3 acres. Thanks!

There is a forum here on ordinances and regulations in different areas. I'll give you a link to that. At the bottom is a "post new thread" tab and you can click that and then have all of the information you've gathered in one place and right where people can look it up. There are also threads on different approaches to changing ordinances there, some successful, some that weren't. Your information may help someone else down the line. Good luck.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/local-chicken-laws-ordinances.37/

There is a forum here on ordinances and regulations in different areas. I'll give you a link to that. At the bottom is a "post new thread" tab and you can click that and then have all of the information you've gathered in one place and right where people can look it up. There are also threads on different approaches to changing ordinances there, some successful, some that weren't. Your information may help someone else down the line. Good luck.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/local-chicken-laws-ordinances.37/
Thanks! I will check that out.

Thanks, I am going to do that tomorrow. the address is Le Claire but it's 9 acres kind of outside of town.

If you are in a agricultural zoned area you will have no problem, if you are in the county you need to check Scott county ordinances, but again, in Iowa, you will probably not run into problems. The fact that you have 9 acres makes a difference, too. It used to be with Mason City ordinances you couldn't have larger livestock in town (horses, goats, etc.) unless you had 2+ acres.

Last edited:
If you are in a agricultural zoned area you will have no problem, if you are in the county you need to check Scott county ordinances, but again, in Iowa, you will probably not run into problems. The fact that you have 9 acres makes a difference, too. It used to be with Mason City ordinances you couldn't have larger livestock in town (horses, goats, etc.) unless you had 2+ acres.
Yes, I just talked to the planner for Scott County and I can have 55 chickens per acre. Uh, lol. So my flock of 12 should be fine! BTB, I can also have 2.5 pigs per acre and 1 cow per acre. :)

Back
Top Bottom