Introducing my dogs to my chicks

Update - you people are amazing. After reading the posts I put the younger 2 in our bedroom and shut the door (they weren't fond of that). I kept our old one (he's 13) out. I put a towel on the floor (we have hardwood and I didn't want the chick getting cold) and put the chick on it and sat down by it. The dog came over and the rest is pretty much too adorable for words.

I was the one flipping out for no reason. Hubby is on the floor with them now.

I'm so upset that I broke my camera, this would be one of the framed ones for sure.

YAY! Chicks are the hardest and it really is a process. Keep a watchful eye. The old chickens are a little easier with dog training - I guess they don't make that enjoyable squeak noise and aren't so bite size. I'm glad it is off to a good start. You will do great!

Are your frizzles hatching soon?

Hey CluckyCharms,

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but when a dog licks their lips or the air they are typically telling you that they don't mean any harm, it's OK, I'm just a little stressed. The dog trainers call it "flicking". I don't think it has much to do with how much they want to eat something. You can actually test it out. Just hug your dog. Most likely they will flick and lick you, but they have no intention of eating you. Unless you squeeze really tight
lol.png

Also, ChickensRDinos rocks with more awesome dog training tips.

Jim

Thank you! I love dogs and have way too many.

Also, your signature is awesome.

YAY! Chicks are the hardest and it really is a process. Keep a watchful eye. The old chickens are a little easier with dog training - I guess they don't make that enjoyable squeak noise and aren't so bite size. I'm glad it is off to a good start. You will do great!

Are your frizzles hatching soon?

I'm trying to stop hijacking the thread but then I felt rude if I don't answer.
hmm.png
I'm getting very nervous, and yes...frizzles are due to hatch on the 17/18th. They're going into lockdown on the eve of the 14th.
fl.gif
Thank you for asking. :'')

I think overall impulse control training and not just chick training is going to be the best way to go to solve the problem either way.

I have a pit-bull mix and three pugs. The pit and two of the pugs are rescues from urban shelters with mixed histories of abuse. All four dogs are out in the yard with my 5 chickens everyday without any problems. In fact I once had a chicken attack a dog but never the opposite. Everyone guaranteed me that the pit would kill my chickens but she has never been a problem.

Have you done any food training with them? Do you free feed your dogs or do they eat at regular times? I would recommend taking them off of free feeding if you are doing that. Focus on training your dogs so they they will not eat anything unless you give a specific command. I set down all four bowls of food and make the dogs wait. They do not eat until they hear their own name and see a hand gesture. Also work on them stopping eating at a command and willing stepping away from their food. I say "Name, wait." and they stop and sit until told to continue. These skills help with impulse control in many areas of training. It may seem unrelated but to a dog, the one who controls the food is the ruler of them all. This could also resolve any of the possible food aggression questions/issues.

Have you worked with them at all doing the "leave it" without putting the chicks on them yourself? My only concern with holding them up to her face is it seeming like a game or a toy but it really depends on how she is reacting. If you let the chicks be free and behave in a chick way - perhaps with the dog on a lead so you can control the dog is needed, the dogs can get used to the chicks natural behavior that way.

When I was training my dogs I scolded any behave except mild curiosity and ignoring completely. Even happy excited was a no.

I hope maybe that helps a little.

Here is my pit, Lou, with a silkie chick who fell in love with her.

omg! you need to post this pic were everyone who is against pit bulls can see it! I have a pit mix years ago, one of the best dogs I have ever owned. She knew her job and did it amazingly! My chickens were free range then and they would roost on her dog box. I would give anything to have a picture of that! But just didn't think about it then. Daisy laying in her dog box and my girls roosting right above my killer{not} pit bulls head! I caught her chasing one and punished her and she never bothered them again! I have 3 Maltese and I don't trust them at all with my girls! My male wants to play with them and he plays to hard!

omg! you need to post this pic were everyone who is against pit bulls can see it! I have a pit mix years ago, one of the best dogs I have ever owned. She knew her job and did it amazingly! My chickens were free range then and they would roost on her dog box. I would give anything to have a picture of that! But just didn't think about it then. Daisy laying in her dog box and my girls roosting right above my killer{not} pit bulls head! I caught her chasing one and punished her and she never bothered them again! I have 3 Maltese and I don't trust them at all with my girls! My male wants to play with them and he plays to hard!

Thank you!! She is a really sweet dog and now a very good girl but she got a rough start and was CRAZY when we got her from the pound. I could rant for hours about pit bulls bad reputations and euthanasia rates but I will spare you lol. Love the thought of your birds roosting on the dog box. Awesome.

I think how well dogs will get along with chickens depends on the dogs. I could never trust my 2 dogs around the chickens. My dogs are prey driven and even though we have a double gate separating the chickens and the dogs they are constantly staring the chickens down.

PS I love all the pictures of the chickens and dogs

Here are examples of otherwise high prey drive dogs interacting with chickens as livestock guardians. With these guys introductions began at 7 weeks. Starting with older dogs can yeild in similar results although takes more time and sometimes more birds. These dogs were bred to hunt birds and do hunt squirrels and the older trees raccoons.

My dog went thru the initial stage of being interested in them since chickens were brand new to him. He is a weimeranar(a bird hunting dog by nature and his bloodline). That lasted around a week or 2 but after he realized that they lived here, he was fine. All he wanted to do was steal their food. They would run up to him when we came outside and the chickens were free ranging to see if he had any treats for them lol he just froze up when they ran up on him. they would walk under his legs and he would just watch them. Since I had him from 3 months old and he was around 9 yrs old when we first got chickens, I knew how we was and what he was capable of, so after having the chickens 2 weeks I would put him outside with them while they free ranged and never had a problem. The rooster (once grown up) tried to stand his ground to the dog a few times but the only incident from that was the dog hitting him with a nice head nudge that rolled the rooster off his feet and he stayed away from the dog after that :) But I never had any problems, even with a bird hunting dog. He was so interested in seeing the baby chicks when they hatched, he would come get me to bring him in to where the brooder was and he would stick his head over the side to look in but never went after them. Once the chicks got to 5 or 6 weeks old and would fly to the top of the walls in the brooder, they flew off onto his back a few times, he didn't really like that and would get jumpy, but not going after them, it kinda just scared him. Its a process but you can have a great time with the dogs and chickens intermingling outside with no worries.

I think how easy/difficult it will be to train your pooch to interact appropriately depends mostly on how well the dog is trained in general.

If your dog has a firm grasp on "leave it", "gentle" or "not yours" your pretty much already there. Even just reliable recall and the "down" and "stay" commands will be enough.

Maybe a few ten minute refresher training sessions in obedience for the few days before introductions are made.

Most dog tend to surprise us. Once they realize these guys are just feathered pack members you should be fine :)

I had to go through stage where dog repected commands only with me present. Getting dog to leave birds alone without direct oversight takes training beyond the verbal commands. It is developing that unsurpervised trustworthiness that is the challenge. In my case it involved understanding how a chicken kept coming into house.

Back
Top Bottom