Introducing Ducklings to Lonely Pekin Duck

CharlotteNeighborDucks

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2022
This is my first post, but I’ve found this site so helpful!
I want to ask about my adult, female Pekin’s behavior towards my two new ducklings. My Pekin lost her mate in November, right when moving to our new house. She has been a single backyard duck since then, and she is not happy about it. I ordered two ducklings from Metzer in January that arrived first week of March. They are now 2 weeks old.
I’ve let my Pekin see them 2-3 times in very controlled ways (they can see each other, but she can’t reach them).
I want her to be able to have a little interaction with them each day, if possible (I know she hates being alone). Her reaction has been head bobbing, ducky ‘shivers’, fluffing up her feathers some, and she acts like she wants to get her head closer to them.
The ducklings are only 2 weeks, and everything I’ve read says I should wait to introduce, but I also want to look out for my Pekin’s happiness. I think she seems excited to meet them(?) Anyone else been in this situation? Any advice is appreciated!

I have introduced new ducklings to my flock of all lady ducks, and I do what you have been doing, and then wait until they are fully feathered (about six weeks old) before leaving them together. But I can see how, in your case, with the one lonely duck, it is hard to wait!! My suggestion is to try to wait 2 more weeks.
I know some people just throw them together with no fear at all but I always err on the side of caution. I still keep my geese separated from my ducks, even though they would probably be fine together... except the ducks murder all the grass that the geese like to eat lol
Im curious do you know what sex are the ducklings? Or did you go 'straight run'

:welcome
Just keep doing what you are doing with introductions. When I have little ones I take them out and sit with them with the rest of the flock all right there and they mainly ignore the little ones. But I would never leave them alone with the flock. You can try letting your Pekin be with them as long as you are ready to intervene but they are too young to be left with her.

I have introduced new ducklings to my flock of all lady ducks, and I do what you have been doing, and then wait until they are fully feathered (about six weeks old) before leaving them together. But I can see how, in your case, with the one lonely duck, it is hard to wait!! My suggestion is to try to wait 2 more weeks.
I know some people just throw them together with no fear at all but I always err on the side of caution. I still keep my geese separated from my ducks, even though they would probably be fine together... except the ducks murder all the grass that the geese like to eat lol
Im curious do you know what sex are the ducklings? Or did you go 'straight run'
Thanks for the response! They are both females. A Silver Appleyard and a Cayuga. I found a small outdoor animal pin for about $30. I think I’m going to try letting the ducklings in the grass with that for a little bit each day (weather permitting) while I supervise. If my Pekin can forage in the grass next to them without being fully obsessed they are there, I figure I can transition to closer interactions. They’ve mostly seen each other through a glass door so far. I don’t know if my Pekin would be aggressive or not, but she is so big compared to them I’m worried she’d be rough without realizing it.

:welcome
Just keep doing what you are doing with introductions. When I have little ones I take them out and sit with them with the rest of the flock all right there and they mainly ignore the little ones. But I would never leave them alone with the flock. You can try letting your Pekin be with them as long as you are ready to intervene but they are too young to be left with her.
This is helpful, thank you! I’m probably lucky cause I know Pekin’s are typically very social. She’s just never been around ducklings since she’s been grown and I’m trying to avoid traumatizing one of the little ones.

Just wanted to post an update in case anyone with a similar question happens across this thread in the future. I let the ducklings in the grass inside a small animal pin for about 30 minutes to an hour a day while supervised. My Pekin was very interested in them but could not quite reach them. I did this for about two weeks.

Ducklings are over 5 weeks old now. I started putting them in the duck run together with my Pekin 4 days ago (still supervised) for an hour or two. My Pekin was a little pushy but did okay with minor interference from me. Yesterday (day three in the run) I took the young ones out to the run while I did yard work and immediately that day all three acted like a happy little flock <3

Attachments

• DAD8B2BA-8BC7-4436-8ABB-9B27B60AD66D.jpeg
    DAD8B2BA-8BC7-4436-8ABB-9B27B60AD66D.jpeg
    969.1 KB · Views: 27
I am going through an incredibly similar situation right now! My lone Pekin recently lost her partner and now I have two metzer ducklings on the way. So helpful to read about your experience. I hope my three ducks will be as happy as yours appear to be :love

Back
Top Bottom