Introducing chicks

jnjmanning

Songster
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Sullivan Missouri
I will try and make this to the point. I had 7 chicks I hatched at Easter, when we put them outside, they were all killed by coons. We found the problem and fixed the coop and yard. I started hatching more eggs in the meantime people kept giving me chickens after hearing my loss. One guy gave me 3 hens and another guy gave me his one and only hen(the rest had been killed) and he was getting out of the chicken business. To make a long story short, the 3 hens, did not like the 1 hen, they went after her till her foot was bleeding. I separated her, tried reintroducing at night while on roost, everything and nothing worked. So I made and area just for her. Ok so now fast forward, I have 12 babies that have hatched. I want to try and put them with the single hen. I know she will peck at them some, but will she, or could she kill them? I really want her to become part of a flock. She has never been an aggressive hen, just a very scared kinda timid. But I also dont want to subject my babies to being injured or even killed.....HELP!

I wouldn't put small chicks in with an adult hen. Is there a way you can keep them separated until they're closer to her size? In regards to introducing her to the other three - have you tried having them in side by side pens for awhile (days or weeks) so they could get used to seeing and being near each other? I haven't done that personally, but have read that it can be a successful way to introduce them.

Yes I tried for a cpl weeks, but still the same. But it has been awhile and I have noticed that they(the 3 meanies) dont charge the fence at her like they used to, and she doesnt RUN at the site of them...lol She has never been allowed to free range like the other 3. I was afraid they would run her off. We live in the middle of 175 acres, pretty much surrounded by woods. I know she was already pretty freaked out when I got her, her whole flock had been killed, then she was brought to a place she didnt know, and with 3 hens who didnt like her. Poor thing! I was hoping somehow she could be put with these as they were growing and would flock up with them.

Back
Top Bottom