Integrating new chickens...a unique situation.

Pippin quail

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Central Alberta, Edmonton area
Ok, so I know there a million and one threads on integrating new chickens/chicks... But I have a bit of a unique (I think) situation about to happen here. Pardon the possibly long post here, I just want to explain everything well enough for it to be understandable. I will also intersperse pictures to break things up! But keep in mind, this might turn into a novel, so you're forewarned and can stop reading now if you want! 🤣 Or skip to the very bottom where I might have an actual question or two and not just my chickens' life stories and coming drama. 🙄 Seriously, TL;DR I'm about to try and introduce 9 hens from 2 different flocks into my current flock of 3.5 month olds, 8 of whom are COCKERELS and only 4 pullets. I also have a mix of 12 chicks from age 4-6 weeks in the brooder who will also need to be integrated soon. Am I insane? Read on to find out the how and why of it all, if you like stories.

I'm going to start at the very beginning of my chicken keeping journey where I probably made my first mistakes. We want egg laying chickens. So we started with eggs! I hatched out 15 adorable chicks this spring, just 3 weeks after moving to our acreage. No coop, no experience. But all things considered everything went fairly well and was an amazing journey. But fast forward 8 weeks or so and of those 15 adorable chicks, 11 ended up being cockerels. 🙄 Not great for my nice big egg laying flock.

What was I to do next?? Get another 18 eggs to hatch and hope for better odds, of course! Only 9 chicks hatched (due, I think, to some tampering with eggs and incubator by my 2 year old, and attempting a staggered hatch) Anyway, the sex of those 9 chicks is still yet to be determined at 4 and 5 weeks for the two groups.

About a week or two ago I started fretting about the coming winter. The boys will not be around by then. We already butchered the two meanest ones and will hopefully wait for the others to get a little bigger to butcher all but our favorite one. But that should be in about a month or so... And my coop is BIG. If I want 4sqft per chicken I need 24 chickens. Sooooo I definitely need more than my current 4 pullets, 1 cockerel that will stay and the 12 undetermined chicks.

I asked the lady I bought my last eggs from if she had any pullets for sale and she said she actually did have 3 or 4 that were 5 weeks old and she was pretty certain were pullets. So I went and picked those up and being the inexperienced chicken keeper that I am and taking the sellers advice, I stuck the chicks right in the brooder with my 9 who were at the time 4 and 5 weeks old. It was night when I did this and I heard a bit of cheeping while they found the other chicks and the heating pad and then they all went to sleep. I figured they would get along in the morning ok and when I went to check on them and feed/water they all seemed to be doing great. I should have stayed to observe for longer though as my two smallest ended up pecking one of the newbies (who was WAY BIGGER) but they gave her a bloody comb. It looked way worse than it was but I felt so bad! I ended up separating her into a bin beside them where they could see each other but not touch. The other two new chicks seemed fine... But that chick who got pecked is now named Ruby, due to the bright red blood on her comb. I kept her separated while I treated the comb and then put her back in at bedtime because I didn't have a way to keep her warm and it's starting to get chilly at night (they are in the half of the chicken coop that is not holding my other chickens). The next day I saw her get pecked or almost pecked a couple times and she would immediately put her head down and turn away from the pecker. I guess she found her place and they have all been fine since, I think she's at the bottom of that little pecking order. I also am not sure if she's a she because she has the biggest comb of the bunch and even wattles already. The lady who sold her said her salmon faverolles mixes always have bigger combs earlier. So we will see!

Here is little Ruby after being attacked by Flower and Hazel. 😢
IMG_20210828_135745.jpg

Fast forward another week and I started to worry again that half of my 12 in the brooder might be cockerels too, maybe more than half, knowing my track record! So I started looking for pullets/young hens in my area. I found a lady selling her flock of 10 hens and she is willing to deliver them. (They are a mix of barred rocks, buff orpingtons and ameracaunas) I found out that 4 of them are older and no longer really laying, so I told her I just want the 6 young ones... I already have 7 extra cockerels needing to be butchered soon, don't need more free loaders!
I then also found a lady selling 3 Swedish flower hens and I looked at them and fell a little bit in love. So I'm getting those as well.

So now we get to the actual questions I have! I have read a bunch of threads about integrating chickens into a new flock using the look don't touch method. However I do not have a separate run or easy way to make a separate run. I have also read about cluttering up the run and wondering if that would be enough? Providing hiding places, extra feeders and waterers in a few locations in and out of the coop. I could even possibly block off half the run with chicken wire or other leftover fencing, but they would still need to sleep in the coop, as I'm worried about predators being able to get into the run at night, plus it's chilly out. Both ladies I'm getting chickens from seem to think that adding all these new chickens at once will be ok because there's not just one or two that might get picked on. I have my 12 (who are 3.5 months old and mostly cockerels) and I'll be adding 6 from one flock and 3 from another, but they are all a year or more old. Thennn at some point I need to figure out when and how to integrate my babies who are now between 4-6 weeks old! I know, I sound crazy. But if things are not going well with any of the chickens, bullying is happening or that kind of thing, it would be possible for me to kick my kittens out of their half of the shed for a bit and use it to house a few chickens if needed.. My brooder is already in there so it could work, just not my first choice.

So do you think I'm insane for attempting this double flock integration into my already weird flock dynamics? Would it be better if I butchered my cockerels sooner or will they be a good buffer for my young pullets and the new big hens? My pullets are definitely submissive but even with so many cocks they all get along really well still. Minus the two we had to butcher last week because one was going after my daughter and one was going after every other chicken, including mounting other males.

Things to note about my coop: It is 8x12 on the chicken side. There is another full 8x12 side that my kitties and brooder full of chicks currently live in. That could be utilized to separate bullies or something if needed. My run, I don't have the exact measurements but it is definitely wider and longer than my whole coop/shed and I would estimate is 10x30 if not 10x35. I should really measure it for real tomorrow when it stops raining. But my chickens also free range when I'm able to be out there, since they're still small enough to be picked off by a hawk and I'm trying to train my dog to not chase them, etc so have to keep her leashed while they are out. Would it make sense to let my chickens out to free range and put the new chickens in the coop and run for a bit to let them find all the hiding places/food/water before possibly being chased by my chickens? Or will this make my chickens feel even more threatened seeing new birds in their coop?? I know firsthand now from my brooder chicks that sometimes the smallest can be the most feisty, so I do want the bigger hens to know where to hide if they need to. My medium ones already know where everything is. I can take pictures of my cluttering of the run tomorrow and also measure the run.

Ok I didn't actually insert most of the pictures.. But they just show the size of my coop, my chickens, the small chicken tractor I have let me little chicks in during warm days (so the 3.5 month old chickens have seen them up close, but always in a no touch way)

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_205324.jpg
    IMG_20210724_205324.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210826_091630.jpg
    IMG_20210826_091630.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210805_144344.jpg
    IMG_20210805_144344.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210724_135455.jpg
    IMG_20210724_135455.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210730_185126.jpg
    IMG_20210730_185126.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210831_152540.jpg
    IMG_20210831_152540.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 24
I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask. Actually I guess I'm going to ask a question. Are all these birds from different flocks already in close proximity to each other? In other words, you didn't quarantine them, did you? For future reference, it's always a good idea to do so, in case any have lice, mites, or communicable diseases like Marek's or Newcastle. Hopefully you've gotten lucky and all is well. I did! Got lucky, I mean. When I was building my flock early on, I did the same thing you've done, gathered birds from various sources. But I lucked out and got healthy birds. Now I keep a "closed" flock. I only get chicks from a hatchery. I've heard some sad stories here at BYC where things didn't always turn out so well.

As for the integrating, I think if at all possible you should try to rig up separate areas for the different flocks in a "see-no-touch" setup for at least a week or two. Is an Eglu a possibility? (Whew, I just priced those!). Having hideouts in the run is a great idea and a necessity, but you still have to deal with the overnight situation. I don't really have a suggestion for that. Maybe others will. Good luck!

I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask. Actually I guess I'm going to ask a question. Are all these birds from different flocks already in close proximity to each other? In other words, you didn't quarantine them, did you? For future reference, it's always a good idea to do so, in case any have lice, mites, or communicable diseases like Marek's or Newcastle. Hopefully you've gotten lucky and all is well. I did! Got lucky, I mean. When I was building my flock early on, I did the same thing you've done, gathered birds from various sources. But I lucked out and got healthy birds. Now I keep a "closed" flock. I only get chicks from a hatchery. I've heard some sad stories here at BYC where things didn't always turn out so well.

As for the integrating, I think if at all possible you should try to rig up separate areas for the different flocks in a "see-no-touch" setup for at least a week or two. Is an Eglu a possibility? (Whew, I just priced those!). Having hideouts in the run is a great idea and a necessity, but you still have to deal with the overnight situation. I don't really have a suggestion for that. Maybe others will. Good luck!
Thanks for the important question! I actually don't have the birds yet. But I have nowhere that I could quarantine birds safely. I could put them in my garage, but only over my husband's dead body. And I really like my husband, so I won't fill his precious garage/shop with chickens. I already need him to build a bigger and warmer dog house this weekend... So he is not going to help build any more chicken structures, too much of his summer and our 💰💰has gone to that already. And add to that all the fact that I have 4 young kids, who it's hard enough to ensure they wash their hands when coming in the house, I would now have to get them (and myself!) to do all the quarantine procedures. It would not be realistic at all, unfortunately.

I've done what due diligence I can, given that I want more hens so my flock doesn't freeze this winter, but with limited time and extra spaces. I talked to both ladies, and while I may seem naive, I choose to see it as trusting. They both say their flocks have never had any illnesses and all their birds are healthy. I know my flock has never had any illnesses. And I plan to add garlic and other herbs for the immune system, or that are anti-viral, etc to their diets, to help prevent/fight off any potential illness that could be hiding in any of the chickens. And hopefully, like you, I luck out! 🙏🙏

And my coop is BIG. If I want 4sqft per chicken I need 24 chickens. Sooooo I definitely need more than my current 4 pullets, 1 cockerel that will stay and the 12 undetermined chicks.
No, you really don't.
That's a bare minimum space requirement.

given that I want more hens so my flock doesn't freeze this winter,
That's not how it works. Their feathers keep them warm.
Adequate ventilation is way more important than a coop 'holding heat'.

They both say their flocks have never had any illnesses and all their birds are healthy.
Of course they do.

I'd hold off on adding anymore birds.

No, you really don't.
That's a bare minimum space requirement.

That's not how it works. Their feathers keep them warm.
Adequate ventilation is way more important than a coop 'holding heat'.

Of course they do.

I'd hold off on adding anymore birds.
I've heard so many people say that having enough chickens in the winter to help keep each other warm is important. I can't imagine my 4 pullets and 1 cockerel, plus however many of my chicks end up being girls, being able to keep each other warm. Don't they all huddle on the roosting bar together to keep each other warm? I definitely have adequate ventilation, but it gets down to -40 here in the winter, sometimes even colder with the windchill. And the normal temperature for the winter is -20C (-4F) on a good day. I still think I need more 🤷‍♀️

@aart is right.. the square footage recommendations are to keep people from having too many birds in too small of a space. Like twelve birds in a space designed for four. If you have, say, six chickens in a warehouse, and they huddle together to stay warm, they WILL stay warm. You don't need ten thousand chickens huddling to keep warm. So you don't have to fill the whole space with chickens. But as @aart said, it's not the huddling that keeps them warm. Ever see birds on a wire in a snow storm? Chickens are birds. Their feathers keep them warm. Baby chicks will huddle because they don't have their adult feathers yet.

@aart is right.. the square footage recommendations are to keep people from having too many birds in too small of a space. Like twelve birds in a space designed for four. If you have, say, six chickens in a warehouse, and they huddle together to stay warm, they WILL stay warm. You don't need ten thousand chickens huddling to keep warm. So you don't have to fill the whole space with chickens. But as @aart said, it's not the huddling that keeps them warm. Ever see birds on a wire in a snow storm? Chickens are birds. Their feathers keep them warm. Baby chicks will huddle because they don't have their adult feathers yet.
I guess that makes sense. There's just so much conflicting information/opinions online regarding chicken keeping. Whether to heat, insulate, keep more, keep less, etc etc. It's a little overwhelming at times.
For the record, my coop is not insulated and I don't plan on using any heat other than a heated waterer (but I may try and get some square bales of straw to put up behind the roosting bar at least, if not around all the walls, because it's a metal shed and those walls will be icy, maybe even just hanging some thick blankets on the walls would help). It has about 24 sqft of ventilation at the roof level. And my family all thinks I'm utterly insane and will be plucking frozen chickens off the roosts this winter because of all the ventilation and no heat. I'm trusting the experts on here with this one though, so hopefully they all do well. 🤞

:hugs It is a little scary when everything is new! But ventilation is your friend, even more than insulation. My concern is that metal roof, where you may have condensation and water dripping down from that. But I'm no expert in that. Not sure who is, so I will tag a few folks here and if they do not directly know the answer (they probably do, they are very knowledgeable!), they will certainly know who does. As for your very helpful family, if they do not themselves have chickens, just smile and thank them for their concern. Here at BYC you will have the benefit of people with many years of experience, like these:
@Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @aart.

Back
Top Bottom