Injured Leg - Other Problems Too - Urgent!

roostersandhens

Flap Your Wings!
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Saving Battery Hens at Happy Hen Chicken Rescue in
My Coop
My Coop
My Hen Victoria was rescued from a factory farm 8 days ago. She has a broken leg, and is on pain meds, and fluids.
Her crop doesn't seem to be emptying, and I think she is struggling to poop. And her comb has suddenly become floppy, and it used to be straight up and beautiful!
Her now:

Her when she only had a broken leg, and she was otherwise fine:

Her comb also may be shrinking.. I love this hen, please HELP!!
Any ideas?

My Hen Victoria was rescued from a factory farm 8 days ago. She has a broken leg, and is on pain meds, and fluids.
Her crop doesn't seem to be emptying, and I think she is struggling to poop. And her comb has suddenly become floppy, and it used to be straight up and beautiful!
Her now:

Her when she only had a broken leg, and she was otherwise fine:

Her comb also may be shrinking.. I love this hen, please HELP!!
Any ideas?
I will PM my chicken expert on this.

Have you checked her for egg binding? Being a commercial egg layer, they are set to do a lot of laying. The stress of moving could have her dehydrated and that will cause a stuck egg really fast. And if the egg is blocking off the intestines, she will not move her crop or poop. So you need to check her fast.

Read thru this article on egg binding and follow these instructions as well if she is indeed egg bound...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

It is also possible that with a broken leg she is unable to push the egg out.

Keep us posted!

Have you checked her for egg binding? Being a commercial egg layer, they are set to do a lot of laying. The stress of moving could have her dehydrated and that will cause a stuck egg really fast. And if the egg is blocking off the intestines, she will not move her crop or poop. So you need to check her fast.

Read thru this article on egg binding and follow these instructions as well if she is indeed egg bound...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

It is also possible that with a broken leg she is unable to push the egg out.

Keep us posted!
Thanks so much TwoCrows! I will update you all soon..

Good luck and I hope you can save her!!!
hugs.gif

Give her an internal exam. If she is egg bound, get some tums or some sort of calcium in her, soak her on warm water for 15 mins and hopefully that moves the egg out.

Hurry!!!

Back
Top Bottom