Incubator Ideas and Chick Brooder - A Question For Bigger Breeders/Farmers

IvysAnimals

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello. I have a question for those who hatch a more significant amount of chicks/ducklings/goslings. What brand of incubator do you use? I am interested in purchasing an incubator that can hold 100+ eggs, I'm curious about what brand works for you guys. Second, what style of brooder do you have, and where are the chicks kept? I'm not sure if I want them outside, and there's not much room to have possibly 60+ chicks, ducklings, or goslings inside. Thanks in advance.

I'll answer the brooder part. Love, love, love my GQF battery brooder. Started with a single brooder ($50 on CL). Added the stack with one brooder and 2 extended grow out pens ($850).
For chicks I have 25 in each brooder and at 3 weeks move them to the grow out pens. I can then start another 50 chicks. 100 chicks in 11 SQ ft. The drop pans make it easy to stay ahead of the poop. Easy to clean with a wire brush and bleach between groups.
I have raised goslings in it. They outgrow the brooder in less than 2 weeks and need to move to the grow out pens or a stock tank. They can easily handle outside temps by 4 weeks.
I changed the stack to having the brooders in the middle so they can heat the grow out levels. Do not need additional heat source for them. I have it in an unheated tack room. Stays at 40* with it not running when it's negative outside. With it running the room warms up about 15*.
IMG_20230125_183038.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom