In Need of a rooster for my 23 Rhodie girls

justbiz53

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
ATT Northern MN!

Hello!

So...my 23 Rhodie girls are looking for a lover. And we really would like to incubate and hatch this spring. We live near Bemidji, Minnesota. This the first flock we've had since 10 years ago.

I'd also welcome any suggestions about how to safely introduce a new guy into the flock! (to keep the flock healthy and the rooster and feather-girls alive! I had an aggressive rooster in the past that literally killed a hen he was so rough.)

My husband wants to keep it all Rhode Island Red, but that is not important to me. I just need a rooster that can defend himself from from the head hen and that is not aggressive toward us.

So. I don't mind a good drive and would pay for a nice rooster.......hopefully not too far away from Bemidji/Laporte, MN area. Thanks!

~Cheryl

ATT Northern MN!

Hello!

So...my 23 Rhodie girls are looking for a lover. And we really would like to incubate and hatch this spring. We live near Bemidji, Minnesota. This the first flock we've had since 10 years ago.

I'd also welcome any suggestions about how to safely introduce a new guy into the flock! (to keep the flock healthy and the rooster and feather-girls alive! I had an aggressive rooster in the past that literally killed a hen he was so rough.)

My husband wants to keep it all Rhode Island Red, but that is not important to me. I just need a rooster that can defend himself from from the head hen and that is not aggressive toward us.

So. I don't mind a good drive and would pay for a nice rooster.......hopefully not too far away from Bemidji/Laporte, MN area. Thanks!

~Cheryl
I'm not sure how far it would be, but I live near Watertown South Dakota. I have a few really good roosters, I'd give you one if you're interested.

MGG, thanks so much for responding.

It looks like would be and 8 1/2 hour round trip so I don't think Hubs is going to go for that. But thank-you so much for your generosity.

I guess we'll keep on on looking for a more local roo.

With gratitude,
~Cheryl

With that quantity of hens you will likely need two to three roosters to ensure egg fertility if you are looking to hatch any chicks. And then the roosters might not get along very well. Good luck.

Thanks for you reply. Yes. we have had 3 Rhodie Roosters to 25 or 30 hens in the past. They were trying to pit the strength of their manhood against each other and so were extemely hard on the girls!

Maybe I should look for fertilized eggs from someone in our area instead of looking for a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom