In Defense Of Breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred's Hens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
In Defense of Breeders

It is often popular here to bash breeders as being arrogant or self-absorbed in their own sense of importance or vainglory. In truth? Wherever there are imperfect people, in any endeavor of life, you will find such folks and breeders are no different. But if it is unfair to taunt all fanciers and paint them all with the wide brush of one's own imagination.

The commercial industry, which controls 98% of all the birds on the planet, only want skinny little egg machines, hybrids that they get from the Hubbard, Hi-Sex, and ISA type strain developers of the world. The meat industry is likewise dominated by versions of the CX and 98% of all birds eaten are these quick to market birds. The commercial industry has no use for any other chickens of any other kind save these two extremes of chickendom.

The small, retail hatcheries produce birds for the small holders and a huge portion of their sales are also selling these same egg machine layers and/or CX type broilers to the smaller operators.

So who really cares about the 200-300 other breeds and varieties? Frankly? No one, but those breeders.

That's right, the breeders. If you have followed the Plymouth Rock Breeders thread over the past year or two, you've seen spectacular Silver Penciled, Buff, Columbian, Barred and White Plymouth Rocks shown. Who has these birds? Who alone produces these birds? Who has preserved and still preserves these gorgeous, true examples of the breed? Nobody but the dedicated fanciers, the breeders. Do these breeders own a 1000' long poultry building? None I know of. Shocking? But breeders, most breeders I know? They are BackYarders. That's right, they are BackYard Chicken people.

Do the big commercial poultry conglomerates have such birds? Of course not. Do the mail order, smaller retail hatcheries have these birds? No way. They have birds that are "similar" or that are said to "represent" (think substitutes for) the true versions, but they don't have, don't breed them, and don't sell them. Can you buy such true examples of the glorious Plymouth Rock at a feed store near you? Of course not.

So, instead of taking aim at breeders, why not thank them for the work they do. The breeder is the only person who stands in the way of these birds extinction.

We may need to promote a "Kiss Your Breeder Week". For either we kiss these breeders in appreciation or we can kiss all these breeds goodbye.

Last edited:
Well, apparently I've exceeded my limit for liking posts (who knew?) so I'll just do this here:
thumbsup.gif

Fred you are so right. When I started out (and still to this day) I find that if I communicate with a breeder and have humility and RESPECT for what he/she knows, most are very willing to help. Underneath that tough exterior, all they want to talk about is chickens

Last edited:
Fred you are so right. When I started out (and still to this day) I find that if I communicate with a breeder and have humility and RESPECT for what he/she knows, most are very willing to help. Underneath that tough exterior, all they want to talk about is chickens

Shhh Scott, that's supposed to be a secret. LOL

Fred thank you for this thread and post. I'm very thankful to the breeders and mentors I had so many years ago, and then the breeders that help me get restarted when I need that too.

Walt Boese of Deer Lodge , MT , the breeder of my foundation trio, is one of those special
poultry men. At the time I excitedly agreed to purchase the lovely Light Sussex he offered
me for a foundation trio, Montana was not an NPIP State*. So Walt Boese went to the State
and got them to train and make him an NPIP Instructor. Then he NPIP'ed his flock and sent
me my birds. Basically he started the whole NPIP Program in Montana just to be able to send
me my birds. Walt now trains other NPIP people. Many thanks Walt B.
frow.gif

Best,
Karen
Waterford English Light Sussex
in western PA
*Without an NPIP Program, a State cannot send poultry to another State which has NPIP.
Walt's efforts opened up MT to a nation wide trade in poultry.

Last edited:
I have a tremendous level of respect for certain breeders and I think even more importantly the fathers of modern genetics that have allowed us to come to an understanding of exactly how specific genes relate to each other. Gregor Mendel and his experimentation with Blue Andalusians in the 1800's for example... Mendel is my chromeboy
wink.png
. Or the original breeders of the Australorp that produced eggs at a commercial scale back in the 1920's, pretty darn impressive what they did with selective breeding for production.

I also have a respect for the breeders that supply most of our fellow BYCers even though they get a bad rap. While I breed my own chickens now and love to experiment with different breeds my first experience was from a feed store like most people here. They weren't the best examples of the breeds they were supposed to be but they were better than some of the culls people still touted as coming from "such and such line" of birds. My goals of breeding are not the same as other peoples goals, and I am very much still in the 'mutt' stage. Whichever each of us prefer - I think we have a responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, even if we disagree.

Fred I don't mean any disrespect...

But let me defend what I do and what I am doing for a living.

But please spend some time learning about the history of how 4 way crosses were achieved, before you start bashing the industry. Of course you won't find this online. We really "don't care" for the APA version of them, but we have them, and we care more than most people do.

IR type Delaware, Vantress R Cornish, Colombian, Blue, and black New hampshires, are just some of the industrial heritage birds I can name off hand raised by one poultry farm in the sates for there meat breeding program. So please learn a bit more before you say misleading things, while these may not be APA heritage, they are technically a heritage breed by most other standards, and they breed true.

As I speak now I am scouring North America for the best production bred heritage birds I can find, so yes we do care about heritage breeds, they were crucial but we have let them go now to many strains have been mixed in with or bred into show strains and that is not always a good thing from a genetics stand point.

Unless you have bred a production bird you can not fully understand the role that heritage birds play, but today only certain flocks make the cut into a breeding program....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom