Immunity to Fowl Pox an inherited trait?

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I wonder if anyone else has observed this with their flocks. We live in South Fla and the mosquitoes are already active. There are several groups of chickens in my yard, some layers over a year old and three different groups of home-hatched chicks.

One group is from my own hens' eggs, one is from a nearby friend's hens' eggs, and the third is from eggs shipped from north Georgia.

Only the chicks from the shipped eggs have been afflicted with Fowl Pox. And the poor things have it really bad! They are kept in close proximity to the other groups so the same skeeters had access to all the young birds.

This just makes me wonder if the immunity the mother hens -- and even the father roos -- have developed from their own exposure to the local Fowl Pox virus was passed through the eggs to those chicks. And these poor Georgian chicks lack that trait.

Now I have also raised hatchery chicks that were shipped from the MIdwest, and never noticed them being especially afflicted with the Fowl Pox. (I don't think they vaccinate against that) So I don't know if my theory is sound.

I'm just trying to figure out why this one batch of chicks is so extremely afflicted, if it's nature or nurture, heredity or environment. What do you think?

that's an interesting theory. I would GUESS that its possible to inherit immunity from the parents IF immunity is able to be passed down like that. we would likely have to do a little research to find out if there is truth to that theory. but it sounds good. but I'm only guessing here. no facts to really back that up but it does sound possible. maybe do a bit of research to see what the experts say about it. let us know what you find. very interesting topic. best wishes

This is one of the things I've found enjoyable about keeping chickens, having them to closely observe and to consider & consult with others about my findings. I have NO idea if immunity to Fowl Pox could be inherited, it's just very curious that only this one batch of chicks has it -- and really bad! -- while none of my other young stock has even a dot of it.

I will usually just leave them alone and let them get through it on their own, watching closely of course to make sure none need any intervention. They may look awful & awfully sorry for themselves but usually all pull through just fine after 2-3 weeks.

This batch of 10 chicks has had it for about 3 weeks now, there are some who had it at the beginning who are all fine now, a few others who started later & still have the lesions. There were a few of those who had it especially bad, I've been putting antibiotic ointment in their eyes & on their combs, and dabbed liquid black shoe polish over the biggest lesions.

This morning I was really annoyed to find that the chicks had trampled one of their own to death! They are confined to small animal crates overnight to keep them safe from raccoons reaching through the wire to them. But in the morning they clamor at the door to be let out. This morning I found one chick dead on the floor by the door. I thought it was the chick who had the worst symptoms of the Fowl Pox but no, it was in the crate with all the healed chicks, they crushed one of their nicest flockmates! Grrrr! I hate losing a bird due to my own husbandry practices, even if it was the best choice I could make at that time. I will certainly put them in something different to keep them safe tonight...

Back
Top Bottom