I'm so old I Remember when:

This may be too philosophical for a Saturday morning but it addresses a lot of what we allude to here. (It's probably behind a firewall.) https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/in-praise-of-lawn-darts?utm_source=publication-search

"but childhood is hard. growing up is harder still.
it NEEDS to be hard, because if it is not, you’ll never actually become a self governing adult. you might “grow up” and never even realize there is such a thing as a self governing adult."

"it’s like that wonderful butterfly allegory where they have to struggle for hours to escape their cocoon. you might mean well and try to pry it open and help them. but if you do, they will die. the struggle is what fills their wings with blood and renders them able to fly. remove it, and they are forever earthbound, dragging their broken wings behind them.
and that is no fate for a butterfly.
and that is no fate for a child."

View attachment 3820617

"
Thank you for posting this, it was a very interesting read!
I agree with it so much...I can see why parents try to protect their children these days, but it goes too far sometimes.

This may be too philosophical for a Saturday morning but it addresses a lot of what we allude to here. (It's probably behind a firewall.) https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/in-praise-of-lawn-darts?utm_source=publication-search

"but childhood is hard. growing up is harder still.
it NEEDS to be hard, because if it is not, you’ll never actually become a self governing adult. you might “grow up” and never even realize there is such a thing as a self governing adult."

"it’s like that wonderful butterfly allegory where they have to struggle for hours to escape their cocoon. you might mean well and try to pry it open and help them. but if you do, they will die. the struggle is what fills their wings with blood and renders them able to fly. remove it, and they are forever earthbound, dragging their broken wings behind them.
and that is no fate for a butterfly.
and that is no fate for a child."

View attachment 3820617

"
I grew up in a area where I could ride my bike in the backyard, and the backyard only. We would go out and play, and have fun. Pfft, there was even the "do not enter" spider house with black widows. We faithfully stayed away from that. Sadly, I never rode my bike in the front because we'd get in trouble because helmet laws (I get that they are there for a reason. And yeah keep your head safe.) I've scraped my knee, gotten some nice hurts, but ever since we moved here there's so much less to do since no one wants to let most of us out in the front without being watched. As far as I'm concerned it's safe, but it's hard to convince others.

Much better than an excel spreadsheet! If I become a teacher this is the way I’m doing it.
You probably won't be able to. Everything has to be done online so that it can be submitted properly. Then printed or emailed out to the parents. Or provided on an app

I grew up in a area where I could ride my bike in the backyard, and the backyard only. We would go out and play, and have fun. Pfft, there was even the "do not enter" spider house with black widows. We faithfully stayed away from that. Sadly, I never rode my bike in the front because we'd get in trouble because helmet laws (I get that they are there for a reason. And yeah keep your head safe.) I've scraped my knee, gotten some nice hurts, but ever since we moved here there's so much less to do since no one wants to let most of us out in the front without being watched. As far as I'm concerned it's safe, but it's hard to convince others.
Ironically, being raised by Gen X?

You probably won't be able to. Everything has to be done online so that it can be submitted properly. Then printed or emailed out to the parents. Or provided on an app
Don't get me started on how much I hate apps :mad:. App for this, app for that, scan the physical ad that comes in the mail to claim your discount in app. Ugh.

That’s true…maybe I’ll do both, but probably too much work.
When I was attending college in person, I’d write some of my papers on paper and my mom would transcribe it to a word document.
Don't get me started on how much I hate apps :mad:. App for this, app for that, scan the physical ad that comes in the mail to claim your discount in app. Ugh.
I do without the discount :)
I totally agree!

It goes around in cycles. Doing historical research I found a farmers letter from about 200 years ago complaining that his wife and daughters were breaking his budget with their desire for store bought fabrics to make their dresses.
Another was a report from the Militia Captain at Spanish Pensacola (when A. Jackson was about to attack, 1814) who said;
"The men are of a Calico generation, without Love of self or country."

I found mine recently but they didn't have all those A's & B's. :hmm

DD was a good student but I once told her "Papa didn't have B's on his report card." (My Mom would have thrown a party if I brought home a B.)
Reminds me of my brother and me. He's get a B or two and the parents would praise him. I'd bring home a single B on my report card and get the stink eye and asked to explain how I'd fix it next quarter.

OTOH, my brother, while not book smart, is one of the most intuitively intelligent and resourceful people I've ever met. Probably what gained him the nickname Mac Gyver in the Gulf Wars.

Back
Top Bottom