I'm so old I Remember when:

No thanks! I never liked that one even in a mild wind ... but it was the only way to get to the Island unless you took the boat ... and that moved worse than the bridge!
As far as I know the Bridge goes from the Lower Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula… Is there another one that goes to the Island? My parents had to take a ferry when they went for their honeymoon but that was twenty years ago. :confused:

No thanks! I never liked that one even in a mild wind ... but it was the only way to get to the Island unless you took the boat ... and that moved worse than the bridge!
I like going over the Mackinac, but I don't think I've ever been up there in the winter. It's a beautiful view on a clear day!
As far as I know the Bridge goes from the Lower Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula… Is there another one that goes to the Island? My parents had to take a ferry when they went for their honeymoon but that was twenty years ago. :confused:
The only way to the Island is by ferry. There are ferries available both in Mackinaw City (south of bridge) in St. Ignace (north).

Last edited:
Makes me want to plan another trip to the UP... and maybe even the Island again!

I like the UP. Some of those remote-ish lakes have awesome fishing, at least they did over fifteen years ago.
My sister and her family have a cabin in the UP. Takes about 10 hours drive time to get up there from northern Ohio but well worth it I heard. I wouldn't know, haven't been invited up there yet. They go snowmobiling(sp?) up there, my brother in law has a huge trailer. He has been stuck just on the other side of the bridge many times because of the winds

My sister and her family have a cabin in the UP. Takes about 10 hours drive time to get up there from northern Ohio but well worth it I heard. I wouldn't know, haven't been invited up there yet. They go snowmobiling(sp?) up there, my brother in law has a huge trailer. He has been stuck just on the other side of the bridge many times because of the winds
I've never gone snowmobiling, I'm not really interested in it. I would much rather take a small ten foot flat bottom boat, carry it back to a small lake, a rod and reel or two and drift around fishing or sleeping or just simply enjoy the wildness.

I've never gone snowmobiling, I'm not really interested in it. I would much rather take a small ten foot flat bottom boat, carry it back to a small lake, a rod and reel or two and drift around fishing or sleeping or just simply enjoy the wildness.
💯 Agree with you

I remember when snowmobiles came out and a lot of people lost their heads over them. Literally. When the snow would be just the right depth and a snowmobile ran under a clothesline... I'm the guy with the small boat on Fletcher's Pond fishing among the stumps. If there are still stumps. I'm remembering the sunburn I got fishing there on a memorial day back in the late 60's.

Back
Top Bottom