I'm so old I Remember when:

I remember Danny Thomas starting St Jude's.

I remember Jerry Lewis and the Muscular Distrophy telethons.

I remember the March of Dimes walk-a-thon (20 miles!) and walking for pledges per mile.

I remember trick-or-treating for UNICEF.

I remember our scout troop marching in the first Earth Day parade.

I remember having a little card that I went house to house asking for dime donations until it was full (50 dimes/$5) but I honestly can't remember if that was the March of Dimes or my church funding missionaries. 🤷‍♂️

There was a long leather rope in the back seat attached to the front seat of cars for kids to hang on to when going around corners. 😂
My mom actually fell out of a rumble seat... or so she says. I wasn't there so I just gotta take her word for it. My aunt - who is accused of being the driver, and my uncle - who was somehow also involved were mysteriously quiet on the subject. 😆

I remember going on a class outing through the neighborhood in the autumn, gathering all the colorful 🍁🍂 leaves, and ironing them between 2 pieces of wax paper to make pretty window decorations. The classroom windows started just above the registers and went up to the high ceilings. We were on the west of the building and the afternoon sun made our project look spectacular.

1701122814790.png

Love Hazel
I remember going on a class outing through the neighborhood in the autumn, gathering all the colorful 🍁🍂 leaves, and ironing them between 2 pieces of wax paper to make pretty window decorations. The classroom windows started just above the registers and went up to the high ceilings. We were on the west of the building and the afternoon sun made our project look spectacular.
We did that too. Loved it!

I was born and raised in FL and we used crab and shrimp for bait to catch good fish. Dad ate liver and I refused as the more I chewed it the bigger it got. We did eat chuck roast cut up into small pieces for beef stew. I ate whatever was on the table or go hungry. I ate the vegetables if liver was the meat. Fried chicken was my special delight. I was introduced to sirloin when I started dating my wife. Her dad cooked a mean sirloin on the grill. We had neighbors who cooked their chitlins in the early morning hours so no one would smell the stench. l remember so many things that people did to survive the 50's and heard from parents what people had to do to survive the 30's and 40's and maybe that's why I have no sympathy for the generations that whine and squall it they don't get what they want when they want it.
Amen preach it Brotha !

Back
Top Bottom