I'm so old I Remember when:

Remember the original "War of the Worlds?" I wasn't there when it was first broadcast (Oct 30, 1938), but I remember people still talking about it 30 years later. It really shook people up!

If you don't know, it was a radio broadcast episode on Mercury Theater narrated by Orson Welles, an adaptation of H.G. Wells' novel written in 1898. But some people believed it was a genuine live news broadcast. Strange alien creatures and machines had landed and were taking over New Jersey. It caused some pockets of panic, reports of murder and suicide (unfounded), and probably was one of the greatest influences on pop culture.

This at a time when there was no internet and no TV. People's news of world events came solely from the radio, newspapers, theater newsreels, telephone (if you had one), and gossip. It scared the bejesus out of folks who had tuned in late and missed the opening announcements.

Anyway, I just remember how people still talked about it.

Remember the original "War of the Worlds?" I wasn't there when it was first broadcast (Oct 30, 1938), but I remember people still talking about it 30 years later. It really shook people up!

If you don't know, it was a radio broadcast episode on Mercury Theater narrated by Orson Welles, an adaptation of H.G. Wells' novel written in 1898. But some people believed it was a genuine live news broadcast. Strange alien creatures and machines had landed and were taking over New Jersey. It caused some pockets of panic, reports of murder and suicide (unfounded), and probably was one of the greatest influences on pop culture.

This at a time when there was no internet and no TV. People's news of world events came solely from the radio, newspapers, theater newsreels, telephone (if you had one), and gossip. It scared the bejesus out of folks who had tuned in late and missed the opening announcements.

Dad told me about that in the 70s. The radio show was structured as a "real" news report, and people panicked.

I read the book. I know of the panic it caused where I was born and raised. I had an Uncle who knew it was a book being read and didn't tell his family that night when they came home from church. A friend of my Grandfather came to see him to find out what to do. My grandfather told him there wasn't anything the could do.

We'd be doomed without our landline out here in the country. Cell service SUCKS - texts work but not actual talking, calls drop almost immediately. And when the power goes out (as it often does), our landline does still work. We had to get satellite (Viasat) to have any kind of decent Internet.
Glad to know it’s not just my phone, then! For some reason mine never works out here but my parents’ newer phones do… :confused:

Back
Top Bottom