I'm so old I Remember when:

Pics
I remember the whole school lining up in the cafeteria for a scoliosis check. We had to bend over and pull up the backs of our shirts so the nurse could check our spine.
Wow, yes, I'd forgotten all about that! Elementary school. They did very basic vision testing, too, and the local Lions Club helped get glasses for kids whose families couldn't afford them.

When coffee was made in these, on the stovetop. I used to love to watch it bubble up in the little glass knob.
1697312224038.png

They don't now?
We'd be doomed without our landline out here in the country. Cell service SUCKS - texts work but not actual talking, calls drop almost immediately. And when the power goes out (as it often does), our landline does still work. We had to get satellite (Viasat) to have any kind of decent Internet.

We'd be doomed without our landline out here in the country. Cell service SUCKS - texts work but not actual talking, calls drop almost immediately. And when the power goes out (as it often does), our landline does still work. We had to get satellite (Viasat) to have any kind of decent Internet.
Same! We have a trusty old rotary dial clunker for power outages. Never has failed us, unless we have to press 1! :lol:

Originally, landlines were powered, so if the power went out the phones could still be used. They also had multiple routes, so if one section of line went down they could reroute through another.

When you called 911 through a landline, it was always available and they knew precisely where you were calling from.
Blessedly, our landlines are still powered so they work when PG&E blacks out...frequent occurrence in winter and wildfire seasons. Lots of "antique" things still work out here on The Lost Coast; modern things, not so much (internet especially).

Back
Top Bottom