I'm so old I Remember when:

Pics
It was different, for sure! Things were changing so fast... technology, transportation, civil rights, fashion, music....... and we were still innocent (mostly). There were no mass school shootings, no strangers in white vans asking if you'd seen their puppy, we left our doors unlocked, AIDS didn't exist, everyone knew their neighbors and people helped each other. It's so sad that everything has turned upside down. So much have been GOOD changes, but all that progress has led to broken families, used needles and condoms on the sidewalk, helicopter moms (out of necessity) raising snowflake kids, collapse of societal morals and values that used to keep most evil in check.

I feel sorry for my grandkids who'll never have the kind of joyful experiences we've had, but I can only hope they'll create new and better ones of their own and for their kids and grandkids. But at the same time, I feel honored and blessed to have witnessed so many events that have transformed our lives. To me, living through the 60's and 70's (and my elders who witnessed the 50's) - that particular period of time was magical (excepting the Vietnam War) and life will never again be the same.
The Hogan's Heros post above reminded me...
We used to be able to make fun of situations in our lives, like Hogan and the Nazis. It was a brutal time in Europe, so much worse than Vietnam or Iraq and Afghanistan. But there's no one making comedic movies and shows about those. Something changed in our psyche.... folks my age are sometimes afraid to speak up in public for fear of offending someone or being accused of violating someone's rights. We grew up in a magical time, but adjusting to the "new" society is a challenge. It's not so innocent anymore.

Back
Top Bottom