I'm So Exciited!! Broody Hen

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi
I have never had a broody hen before and out of the Polish hens I rescued one seems to be broody. She makes all kinds of noise and puffs up when I remove the eggs out of the nesting box. I took some eggs and marked them with a marker to give her a trial run to see if she is really committed. I hope she sits as I would love some chicks instead of having to buy chicks all of the time. I haven't read that Polish go broody but I believe she is a cross as she is a bluish black and sports a top hat (well a few feathers on her head as she was abused by the white rocks she was confined with). I would love to hear from anyone else who has a broody polish. If she sits on these eggs how long should I allow her to before I give her fertile eggs? Thanks in advance, and as a chicken lover I am very excited!!!
wee.gif

An chicken can go broody, even a Leghorn. If she stays on the nest overnight, 24/7 excep[t for a brief outing once a day to eat, etc., then she is broody. You might want to set up a broody area for her -- a nest plus enough more room to get a little exercise, such as a large dog crate.

My polish hen is doing fantastic! She leaves her eggs every morning for about 15 minutes eats, pops, dust baths, and drinks. Either another polish, . Orphinton, or Duccle sits on the eggs until she returns. I actually put a few eggs under the orphinton too since I caught her sitting on top of the polish many times. The orphinton is also doing great at being broody. I can't wait for home grown chicks lol.

The polish is sitting on 7 eggs and the orphinton is sitting on 5. This morning when she went out to do her business one of the Ermanots (spelling?) Took over. I still have them in the nesting boxes uncertain if I should move them, I really don't want to. I figure chickens have been taking babies since dinosaurs I think they got it down, I will make modifications to the outside of the boxes for safety. This will be the longest 21 days of my life lol. I will get a few pictures later today even if no one is following my thread ;). Oh by the way my goat Harley had a baby yesterday and it is adorable.

Here is my rescued broody hen, she is such a good setter, sitter? I watched her antics this morning he got out of the nesting box and look who got in...

It seems now even the barred rock is broody that makes 5 hens wow. I am only allowing 2 hens to sit, the polish and the orphinton.

So when the polish got out it was like a race. First to the water dish then dust bathing,back to the water dish, a bit of food, show the other hens who's boss and shove them out of the way, get back to the nesting box. She is one efficient mama.

I am enjoying the broody hen experience very much. I always wanted a broody hen now I have 5 lol. My little girl Clarice a molted Duccle is helping the polish tonight keep the eggs warm. It's amazing how all of the chickens seem to be working together, if any of the 3 mama's leave the nesting box another chicken willhop right in and take over. I know I said I would only allow 2 to sit but the other polish Hattie has decided she wants to be A mama too so why not, I'm not sure if her eggs are all fertile but we shall see. I have chicks 3 weeks old, 6 weeks, 10 weeks, 18 weeks, year olds, and my older hens all together in the run and coop and I have never had any problems with picking or pecking order so I know my chicks will be fine. I think it's funny when I read people saying wait until the chicks are 6 -12 weeks old before adding them to your flock, I do let the flock see the chicks for a few days before adding them in with the flock but I don't wait until they are grown, surprisingly either the rooster or another older hen will protect them. Chickens are wonderful, I know I have well over 50 but chicken math breaks it down to about 5 so I'm good. Lol thanks again for reading..

Back
Top Bottom