I'm new, and I have a question! I've had chickens in the past, but now I have 13 who are 9 months old. All healthy and happy.

Georgiegirl61

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2024
I have an otherwise healthy 9 month old rooster, but he has an enlarged eye. No sign of infection....
1000015592.jpg

Do you know how his eye came to be like that? Was he pecked, did he scratch it, is there debris stuck in it? I would give it a saline rinse and try to get a closer look at it.

Hi, thanks! I have no idea how it got that way. It seemed to slowly progress. He's very shy, and I'm now noticing missing feathers at his neck. He also doesn't have tail feathers.

Can you get a picture from his left side to see the eye better? Is it swollen like a blister or injured? It would be good to see if he was pecked during fighting or if he might be showing signs of a respiratory disease. Is there any bubbles or gunk in the eye? I would get some saline or Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief and flush the eye twice a day. Then apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin in the eye twice a day.

Can you get a picture from his left side to see the eye better? Is it swollen like a blister or injured? It would be good to see if he was pecked during fighting or if he might be showing signs of a respiratory disease. Is there any bubbles or gunk in the eye? I would get some saline or Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief and flush the eye twice a day. Then apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin in the eye twice a day.
Here's a pic. Strangely, there's no discharge. A little tearing, I think because he was crying that we caught him. Haha. He's a big, shy boy.
1000015589.jpg

Back
Top Bottom