I'm in serious trouble need advice ASAP

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
In the time lapse of 15 mins something came and took my 3mth old drake.. i could just be sick, i am absolutely frantic.. i had just spoke with my husband who saw all the birds and they were fine, i came home 15mins later to find feathers at my wood feeder located not FIVE FEET from my backyard gate and my 3mth old drake missing, the rest of the birds(19 of them aging from turned 8wks and up are fine)

I am in seriously trouble here.. i have no pen for these birds, i lock them up at night but again i have nowhere to pen them in the day.. what on earth do i do?
hit.gif
FIFTEEN mins!!!! omg..

I need advice on what to do .. the barn is not large enough to keep them locked in all day... my oldest dd suggested i section off an area of the dog yard which is connected to my house(4ft chain link) would this work?

This is just awful, i feel awful and have no idea what on earth i can do to protect the rest of my birds... My husband is in disbelief he had only come back in the house... i cannot even find words.. i want to be ill, literally. This is a nightmare, somebody wake me up!

In the time lapse of 15 mins something came and took my 3mth old drake.. i could just be sick, i am absolutely frantic.. i had just spoke with my husband who saw all the birds and they were fine, i came home 15mins later to find feathers at my wood feeder located not FIVE FEET from my backyard gate and my 3mth old drake missing, the rest of the birds(19 of them aging from turned 8wks and up are fine)

I am in seriously trouble here.. i have no pen for these birds, i lock them up at night but again i have nowhere to pen them in the day.. what on earth do i do?
hit.gif
FIFTEEN mins!!!! omg..

I need advice on what to do .. the barn is not large enough to keep them locked in all day... my oldest dd suggested i section off an area of the dog yard which is connected to my house(4ft chain link) would this work?

This is just awful, i feel awful and have no idea what on earth i can do to protect the rest of my birds... My husband is in disbelief he had only come back in the house... i cannot even find words.. i want to be ill, literally. This is a nightmare, somebody wake me up!
I am so sorry I think your dd is right on with this idea at least till you can get your fencing up, what ever it is has your number now and will keep returning, How awful, I know your in shock that what ever it is is so brazen. now I am wondering if it isn't a fox, since it was right under your noses so to speak. When you found the feathers where were your other ducks?

hit.gif
FIFTEEN mins!!!! omg..

Oh my gosh GQ How awful, I am so sorry, yes do what dd suggests and put your birds inside the fence till you can get your fencing up. What ever it is and I am thinking fox now to be so bold and sneaky will keep coming back for an easy meal. This is truly a nightmare for you. When you found the feathers where were the rest of the flock?

Last edited:
I am so sorry I think your dd is right on with this idea at least till you can get your fencing up, what ever it is has your number now and will keep returning, How awful, I know your in shock that what ever it is is so brazen. now I am wondering if it isn't a fox, since it was right under your noses so to speak. When you found the feathers where were your other ducks?

Ok thanks... um, i don't know.. we all pulled in and i remarked the black drake was out in the side field by the truck lid and i said, is he by himself? i said to my oldest go check on them.. she said he was alone... Lilac was on the deck in front of the tent trailer, the rest of the birds were all up by the coop.. this is what my daughter has said as she was the one who went and checked.

I am just awestruck... such a small, small elapse of time... this feeder is seriously right by my back gate.. it's practically in my dog yard. They weren't alot of feathers though.. but we cannot find him, no signs, no trail like last time.

hit.gif

Last edited:
Ok thanks... um, i don't know.. we all pulled in and i remarked the black drake was out in the side field by the truck lid and i said, is he by himself? i said to my oldest go check on them.. she said he was alone... Lilac was on the deck in front of the tent trailer, the rest of the birds were all up by the coop.. this is what my daughter has said as she was the one who went and checked.

I am just awestruck... such a small, small elapse of time... this feeder is seriously right by my back gate.. it's practically in my dog yard. They weren't alot of feathers though.. but we cannot find him, no signs, no trail like last time.

hit.gif
What ever it is is snatching and running which ,makes me think fox also because she would take it back to her kits. I am sick just thinking about this I know you have to be in shock. Your going to have to keep the up now. No doubt about it.

What ever it is is snatching and running which ,makes me think fox also because she would take it back to her kits. I am sick just thinking about this I know you have to be in shock. Your going to have to keep the up now. No doubt about it.

Ugh, yes we are trying to brainstorm on what we can do.. my husband works night so he's left.. they are all safe now, locked in their barn... i will arrange the backyard tomorrow.. dragging in the pools/feeders. The dogs are all fine with them but we will use my snow fence to divide the yard fortunately my dog yard is big, bigger than most subdivisions..

were trying to sort out if we can get a camera so we can capture what on earth this is, im trying to sort out how to fence an area for them too... my head is truly spinning.

Last edited:
Ugh, yes we are trying to brainstorm on what we can do.. my husband works night so he's left.. they are all safe now, locked in their barn... i will arrange the backyard tomorrow.. dragging in the pools/feeders. The dogs are all fine with them but we will use my snow fence to divide the yard fortunately my dog yard is big, bigger than most subdivisions..

were trying to sort out if we can get a camera so we can capture what on earth this is, im trying to sort out how to fence an area for them too... my head is truly spinning.
I bet it is, I hope you can get it worked out and keep them safe. Good idea to still separate them from the dogs. Again I am so sorry, is this Jr. that is missing.
hugs.gif

I bet it is, I hope you can get it worked out and keep them safe. Good idea to still separate them from the dogs. Again I am so sorry, is this Jr. that is missing.
hugs.gif

Thank you
hugs.gif
yes, while my dogs are good i would never 100% trust them, i mean after all they are dogs they don't really get what they are i don't think. I hope they will be safe in the dog yard.. i swear i could honestly throw in the towel right now.

My husband and I had a meat chicken and a laying pullet attacked inside an electric fence during the day. It was a hawk, but we put out some CDs/DVDs (blank ones) hung from fishing line over where our birds were and the hawk would not enter the fence. They would move and spin in the wind and they are very reflective. Just an idea to try to help. I am not sure that would deter a fox though. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom