Illinois...

caponizing might solve your rooster crowing problem, but it will defeat the purposes of having a rooster around. For the worth of having a capon, you might as well have another hen around. Chances of fertile eggs are exact same.

Every so often even during these cold spells, a couple of my girls want to roost in their run, which is pretty well protected from wind, snow and such. I relocate them at bed check. Last night, 8 of 9 choose to roost "outdoors". I made some light in the hen house and one by one, put them inside. They all took to their bedtime roost and I turned out the light.

If they want to sleep "outside", should I just let them? They don't seem to mind going inside nor be irritated from waking up. I'd hate to have them stay "out" in the cold coming tonight, if it was in the 40's i'd leave them be. I'd hate to have just one shivering alone in the hen house while the rest enjoy their camp out... Do chickens know best?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

- 7of 9 choose the outside roost tonight. Took only 10 minutes to move them all indoors, listen to each gals breathing... Check feet and just sorta chicken cuddle!

Is there a chance that there are mites or other creepy crawlies attacking or bothering them on the roosts at night?

That's a possibility, I suppose. I will have to bring several inside for an exam.

I see no rodents... No predators. Other than mites... What else might I look for? I'm watching them on CoopCam right now and as often as possible... Sleeping peacefully.

Our town just legalized bees. I thought to myself, "How could they ban bees in the first place?" and "What do they do with all those illegal bees buzzing around town?" (Joke)
idunno.gif

It turns out that the country club chef wanted to have his own hives on top of the resort, so they made a new ordinance to help him out. Bees are not my thing, but my garden would certainly appreciate more in the area.

Farm raised, locally grown (Macon County) fed with organic feed ingredients, hay and of course grass--- lamb available to purchase. Butcher yourself, or we'll deliver to a processor. Buy from the farm, buy in bulk, save tons of money on a great high quality eating product.

Good busy chicken morning!

With CoopCam running on my iPhone, I'm able to recognize the calls of most of my girls. Junebug is an early and consistent layer and is chatting endlessly this morning on the nest. Astrid visits, looking for her favorite nest to be vacated and adds to the chicken chatter with the rooster crowing from the door... The cats are pretty darned interested as I walk around the house with chickens in my pocket!

The Rooster sure spends a lot of time checking out the Hens on nest. Still fascinated!

Good busy chicken morning!

With CoopCam running on my iPhone, I'm able to recognize the calls of most of my girls. Junebug is an early and consistent layer and is chatting endlessly this morning on the nest. Astrid visits, looking for her favorite nest to be vacated and adds to the chicken chatter with the rooster crowing from the door... The cats are pretty darned interested as I walk around the house with chickens in my pocket!

The Rooster sure spends a lot of time checking out the Hens on nest. Still fascinated!

I want one! Sounds so interesting:)

Back
Top Bottom