illinois towns that allow backyard chickens

Ordinances allowing up to six hens have recently been passed in Moline, IL and Rock Island, IL as well as Davenport, IA just across the river (the Quad Cities).

Can anyone else guide me on the Will County IL amendment? https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...es-chickens-st-0219-2-20160219-story,amp.html

So according to the amended ordinance, only 1 chicken/12,500 square feet, yet the McLeans have 5 chickens on a 15,000 square foot lot? Which also means only 3 chickens per acre? This still seems very restrictive. We have an 11,400 square foot lot and have 5 hens (wish me luck with my neighbor), and the size of my lot seems to accommodate them just fine so far. My brother lives in Pilsen and has 5 hens in a tiny courtyard and they seem very happy and productive. I feel like the ordinance did way too little to allow middle class residence to make use of their property. We can not afford 3 acres to house our babies, and it's a shame we are restricted like this.

Hi all! I live outside of Cary, Illinois in a small village. Our ordinance says we are not allowed to have chickens and I'm wondering what steps I can take to try and change this. Thanks!

In case anyone is interested in Wheeling IL laws to keep backyard chickens

(c)

It is unlawful to harbor, keep or permit to be kept or harbored any poultry, cattle, swine, sheep, goats, horses or similar animals within the village limits except on property within the village limits used for zoological parks, animal exhibitions, educational institutions, veterinary hospitals, animal shelters or pounds.

This really stinks. It makes me mad. How do these bureaucrats justify telling people what that can and can not do in their own home on their own property. Do they pay for your house? Do they pay your bills, your taxes? A bunch of pencil pushers sitting and making decisions about OUR HOMES.

We just bend over and take it. We worked hard to buy our home and we have them telling us what kind of pets and how many we may or may not have. Next thing you know they will be telling us what kind of furniture we are allowed to have in our home, and what type of appliances we are allowed to have. They have way too much power and we gave it to them.

Not sure if it helps but there may be a loophole for you in there.

Do you have kids in 4H & does 4H count as "animal exhibition"?
Are you a teacher & could your flock be used for educational purposes?
Several home school moms are technically schools. They need to be in order to get the same educational discounts & enroll their kids for the same incentives and enrichment programs that the public schools offer.

Also, any animal kept inside as a "pet" is a pet. You could get yourself a silkie or serama as a house chicken. It's not the same as a real flock, but may help fill the void until you move or change the laws.

Back
Top Bottom