Ill chickens

Dionysus

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Hi everyone. We rescued 4 hens from a not so good chicken keeper and now three of my chickens have developed a cough. Did we do the wrong thing rescuing some older hens? We have a mix of breeds and they do get along very well. Or could it be the straw we use? I know they all need ventilation, but if I make more ventilation they could freeze. The nights have been dipping into the lower teens. I do have a heat lamp installed. I'm learning as I go and i do spend a lot of time researching info. Everyone says my hens are really spoiled. But who doesn't want happy comfy hens? We are probably the best animal lovers on the block. The co-op stores around don't have much info about chickens unless your buying them in the spring. Farmers around all have their own opinions. I find myself coming to BYC for all my info. This is by far the best place to start and end the search. I have learned their behaviors and can tell when they are sad. They let us pet them, we talk to them all the time. Whoever says chickens are dumb needs to spend more time with them. They do talk back and show you what they want. We plan on getting new chicks in the spring and we dont want jeopardize the flock. Any tricks and hints will be much appreciated. Thank you all...

3 dogs, Sasha the Shepard mix, Lilly the rescued pit bull from a dumpster, Jack the min-pin, 3 cats. asphalt, rescued from an abandoned parking lot, Cleo, and socks. 1 australorp rooster Marco Pollo, 1 australorp hen olive, 1 silverlaced wyndotte wynnie, 1 buff Oink, 1 wellsummer Bob, 1 blue andelusian Nugget, 1 lakenvelder Henry, 1 austrawhite Spot, 1 leghorn Foghorn, 2 Cochin bantams Harry and feet, 1 polish brown leghorn Penelope. Me, wife, 1 son, 1 daughter. Wow!!!

Maybe post this in a different section so you can get more answers. I know you are supposed to quarantine before introducing any new chickens to the flock but someone else might have better answers for you.

Maybe in the emergencies / diseases section would help.

Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

I Found this on a site

'Yes chickens do cough. Usually it's a sign of a mild respiratory infection. Chicken get a 'cold' just like people. They often get them when they are bit stressed by a move to a new place, or a change in the weather, or anything else that can slightly reduce their immune system or if they get exposed to something new.

Under normal circumstances chickens fight off an infection with good nutrition and care. If your birds seem fine, then they probably are. Keep an eye (and an ear) on her. Watch that she doesn't lose too much weight. If you are used to handling chickens you can tell by feeling the breast bone. If you are really dedicated you can weigh them every couple of days to track any weight loss.

If an infection goes on for a long time, or if there are any signs of secondary infection then antibiotics become a consideration. Your chickens are not at this stage. Watch out for conjunctivitis, sinusitis (usually swelling of the eye), any rotten smell around the face, bad diarrhea and 'sick chook' posture. If nothing like that shows up I would just boost her diet and make sure she's warm and dry. The rickets diet is a handy boost for a chicken that's being challenged. It can tempt them if they're feeling a bit off. Even if you don't wish to go to the trouble of mixing up the rickets diet, just giving the chickens a little tinned cat food two or three times a week can give them a boost.

I understand you've got these birds recently. Have you wormed them? What with?

I'm not sure what you mean about a turned out toe. A rolled toe is when the toe rolls a little to one side. A curled toe can be an incubator-related deformity, but I'm not sure if this is what you are describing. A photo would be helpful to answer that question.'

sorry thats all i could find
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom