IF to Deworm and When to Deworm, those are the questions.

kfotis

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2024
Dear BYC enthusiasts,

I am new to BYC, and I am relatively new at raising chickens, but one thing I know from many hours of reading and watching videos these past 2 years is to learn from the seasoned chicken poulterers. (Not to be confused with seasoned chicken. :)) Thank you in advance for your help.

Questions: Should I deworm my little flock if there seems to be no evidence are worms? If so, how often?

Attachments

• KB and Chicks at 10.5 weeks.jpg
    KB and Chicks at 10.5 weeks.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
There are a variety of opinions regarding regular deworming here
I would not worm if birds are healthy
I went 8 years no dewormers for my ducks but recently used valbazen on entire flock
because poops were looking off
there are also some who give herbal preventatives
I always give my birds access to my thyme and oregano plants
adding ACV with the mother to the water 1TBS per gallon for a few days every month is also helpful
WELCOME TO BYC!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

If your birds are not showing signs of worms....diarrhea, weight loss, pale combs, death...chances are they are dealing with the few worms they have picked up. A healthy bird will keep worms under control. Unless you have an infestation, worming them weakens their ability to deal with them. The best thing you can do is take a poop sample to your vet for a worm check and ID. It's a cheap test. They can tell you if any worms your birds may or may not have and how many.This will also help you use the correct wormer. Some areas of the country have a great many worms and some of these folks do worm on a schedule. I'd have a rest done first however.

Best wishes with your flock!

Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. Best wishes with your birds! You have some good advice above. But if you want to really get down and dirty (really!), here is a series of articles on how to do fecal examinations (which would let you see if there are parasites like worms)
I
II
III
and an article on various herbal type wormers,

and if you decide to administer any sort of medicine to your birds, here is an article about how to administer oral stuff safely! Below is one more article that's sort of first aid:

BYC Lists of Chicken Ailments and Cures

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!

Back
Top Bottom