Identifying different breeds

TulipOHare

Hatching
Apr 16, 2023
First time hatching please be kind 😬
I have a 28 egg brinsea doing a marvelous job.
Our intention is to develop some some breeding stock to help our children start their own small business.
I have some cream legbars, wheaten marans and some olive eggers in the incubator.
So.....I of course want to separate breeds eventually into different pens, also potentially cull extra cockerals.
But....I now have an incubator or overnight hatched fluffy chicks. I have no clue who the autosexing legbars are and we have some legbar crosses in there confusing matters!
I'm going to have to grow these out I'm guessing, will it be easy to determine the purebred legbars??

Are the mixes Marans x Legbar, or are there other breeds involved? Do you have roosters of both breeds or just one?

There are a number of ways to sort out at least some of the chicks, some at hatch and some as they grow. Some examples: males that are pure Legbars will probably have more white than ones that are half Legbar (more obvious when they have some feathers). Chicks with no crest are not Legbars and probably not even part-Legbar. If your Marans have feathers on the legs, that may help you sort pure Legbars (no feathers on legs) from Marans-Legbar mixes (may have some feathers on the legs.)

Back
Top Bottom