Icelandic Chickens

Quote:
My understanding is that you would have had to have started months ago in the US to obtain a permit to legally import the eggs into the United States. I don't know of any way to do it once you are there. I also understand the penalties for bringing them back without the proper permits are severe. I'll probably still have lots of eggs when you get home too, if that's any consolation.

Quote:
Oh, honey, let me help out your kids. PLEASE let me help out your kids!
big_smile.png

Let me check things out here tomorrow, and for the next few days...... God only knows for how long those girls are gonna be hatching.

BTW Kathy... My 12 year old asked me today after we had gotten the Icelandics settled if we were still getting some silkie chicks that they could pick pets from... Maybe I'll just send him to your house for the summer...
gig.gif
He's a hard worker.. come to think of it... I can't let him go.. who would mow my lawn if he was gone???

These pictures are for Shawn's son ............
gig.gif

31282_6-18-11misc021.jpg

31282_6-18-11misc023.jpg

31282_6-18-11misc022.jpg

Quote:
BTW Kathy... My 12 year old asked me today after we had gotten the Icelandics settled if we were still getting some silkie chicks that they could pick pets from... Maybe I'll just send him to your house for the summer...
gig.gif
He's a hard worker.. come to think of it... I can't let him go.. who would mow my lawn if he was gone???

These pictures are for Shawn's son ............
gig.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_6-18-11misc021.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_6-18-11misc023.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_6-18-11misc022.jpg

Very cute Kathy... he wants to know which ones are his and when they are coming...
gig.gif

Quote:
Mahonri, Is it this girl you posted eariler? I thought maybe she looked like mine. Do you know if she came from the eggs I sent you?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44049_mahonri_girl.jpg

Yes, this one and one other blue one came from your eggs... I thought the other blue one was a pullet, but it's looking more and more rooish.

Quote:
Boil some up, have some peeled.... have the rest in a carton. When you go through customs show them your food.

They will need to be x-rayed... if it works great, if not, you tried. I had some friends do it this way with some "Spanish game chickens" coming back from Spain. They ended up hatching four and they still have the offspring.

Oh, and if you succeed, I get first dibs on hatching eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, I'm gonna be here until Aug so I might have time to get this in order! I will contact some breeders here in Iceland and the USDA and see what is involved. I would think getting some new blood into the USA would be good if the same flock has been being used for 13 yrs. I know here the get chickens from different farms and try and outcrossing their breeding lines every so often to keep them healthy and not as inbred( seems to be several farms here in the south with these chickens).
smile.png

Quote:
Well, I'm gonna be here until Aug so I might have time to get this in order! I will contact some breeders here in Iceland and the USDA and see what is involved. I would think getting some new blood into the USA would be good if the same flock has been being used for 13 yrs. I know here the get chickens from different farms and try and outcrossing their breeding lines every so often to keep them healthy and not as inbred( seems to be several farms here in the south with these chickens).
smile.png

Good luck with it! My, understanding if you are caught using Mahonri's friend's method
smack.gif
is a huge fine and a five year stay at a US federal prison. The importation regulations are to protect the US animal population from disease outbreaks from other countries. If you can manage to do it legally, go for it. And put my name on the waiting list for hatching eggs. If you can't do it legally send me a PM when you get back and I'll send you some Icelandic hatching eggs.

Mary

I am getting "anxious." My last hatch, with 4 dozen Icelandics, is due in only a couple days. Why does it seem like this hatch is taking a long time to get here?

Mary,
Go take some pictures to help me pass time. I love looking at your pictures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom