Icelandic Chickens

The chicks I had gotten from Laurie/coldupnorth laid their first egg yesterday!
ya.gif

I was confused at first because it was tinted and thought they only lay white eggs, but she said two of her original hens also lay tinted eggs and they lighten over their cycle. Also came across this link http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/10E06A03.pdf on this thread that says "The egg shells come in a variety of white and cream to light brown" Keep learning new things about this breed!

So how many of you have tinted/brown Icelandic layers?

clap.gif
I have a hen from the Behl line that lays lightly-tinted eggs, similar to the one on the far right. Hers may have lightened, though. I haven't seen any of hers for a while, but I am finding white Icelandic eggs.

Also, Mary, welcome back! I think you should submit one of the emu snow pictures
smile.png
I like the one with the emu laying in the snow.

I have not been to this page since I sold my Icelandics last summer. If I knew what my birds were going to be subjected to I would never in a million years sold them to this particular person. I am heartbroken and sick. It makes me never want to sell another bird again, I might as well have culled each and every one. They never saw the outdoors, they never got to touch the ground, or breath fresh air. i pray to God this person is never allowed to own another animal as long as she lives. We have heard from others that she is trying to buy birds again, she will probably change her name again and of course she has no profile. She is in Conn. I am going to post an article from the newspaper there called the Hartford Courant. If it is not allowed then by all means remove this . I figure people ought to know before she does it again. She was I believe a part of this group. Her name is Merry Haaynak.

http://www.courant.com/community/pl...e-sick-chickens-0315-20140314,0,6372866.story

I have not been to this page since I sold my Icelandics last summer. If I knew what my birds were going to be subjected to I would never in a million years sold them to this particular person. I am heartbroken and sick. It makes me never want to sell another bird again, I might as well have culled each and every one. They never saw the outdoors, they never got to touch the ground, or breath fresh air. i pray to God this person is never allowed to own another animal as long as she lives. We have heard from others that she is trying to buy birds again, she will probably change her name again and of course she has no profile. She is in Conn. I am going to post an article from the newspaper there called the Hartford Courant. If it is not allowed then by all means remove this . I figure people ought to know before she does it again. She was I believe a part of this group. Her name is Merry Haaynak.

http://www.courant.com/community/pl...e-sick-chickens-0315-20140314,0,6372866.story
Thanks for letting us know.

And don't blame yourself, it's impossible to determine if animals you sell really will be going to a proper home.

The other spelling of her name is Mary honyak they are same person.
Thanks for sharing this. Forewarned is forearmed.

In a way she is lucky getting yours, I amnot nearly so nice.

I am confident that mine rehomed with Beth and Russ are very well off. They are a blessing.

RE the 'new ' 9 mos pup old, great looking fellow. Excellent breed. Beautiful chickens too, I have an Icelandic pullet marked just like her ! One from Marynotafarm. What a beauty she is. She and Grima are laying big full sized mediums pushing large, and not yet a year old. Beautiful white egs. Also have a granddaughter Isi pullet keeping up with them although she is several mos younger.

An omelette a day keeps the hungrys away.

Enjoy, spring is coming, no matter what your thermometer says.

The chicks I had gotten from Laurie/coldupnorth laid their first egg yesterday!
ya.gif

I was confused at first because it was tinted and thought they only lay white eggs, but she said two of her original hens also lay tinted eggs and they lighten over their cycle. Also came across this link http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/10E06A03.pdf on this thread that says "The egg shells come in a variety of white and cream to light brown" Keep learning new things about this breed!

So how many of you have tinted/brown Icelandic layers?
Here is a picture of the first eggs laid by my two original Icelandic hens (turning 4 in May). I was concerned that they weren't as "white" as the paper towel they were laying on, but they were only slightly "tinted" for about a month. They have been white ever since. I have not had any darker than these, even as new layers....most are white from the start.

Back
Top Bottom