I want to start learning budgie color genetics

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Hello! I'm interested in learning a bit about budgie color genetics. I own(ed) 4 budgies. 2 are the parents and 2 are their offspring (R.I.P. Kira). I would love to learn what the different colors are all called and what genetics are behind them. I also have a question on how my blue and green budgie hatch a white and blueish-purple one?

I'm not going to breed these birds anymore because I already have enough budgies. However I might pick up budgie breeding in the far future. Ethically of course, not like those breeders that stick 10 birds in a tiny cage or something. Mine would be pets as well, not just money making machines.

There are colors that I like more and I would really love to know the genetic "recipe" of. I have no idea what those colors would be called though.

Can someone tell me what colors my budgies are?

Mango (father):
20220205_123342.jpg
IMG_20210410_182406.jpg

Kira (mother):
20220210_223012.jpg
IMG_20191119_192048.jpg

Offspring:

Ozzie:
20220107_151055.jpg
20211223_235629.jpg

Hope (rehomed)
:
IMG_20191217_212027.jpg

Unnamed (rehomed):
IMG_20200923_152142.jpg

Princess:
20221002_141917.jpg
20211230_180619.jpg

 How come Mango and Kira produced this color offspring? And how would I breed for that white and purple color with the incomplete wing barring if I wanted to in the future? I am absolutely in love with Princesses color. I'm also quite a fan of cinnamons (I think that's what they were called).

Thank you!

Wow that spangled gene is strong and you got blue because your female is split to blue giving of 25% blues so 1 out of 4 chicks should be blue all are split to greywing like dad aswell all male chicks will also be split to opaline as mom is a spangled opaline

Wow that spangled gene is strong and you got blue because your female is split to blue giving of 25% blues so 1 out of 4 chicks should be blue all are split to greywing like dad aswell all male chicks will also be split to opaline as mom is a spangled opaline
What exactly does spangled and opaline mean? I'm guessing greywing is when the barring is grey instead of black? Also what colors would they each be considered (all except the rehomed ones)? Would dad be a blue greywing?

Last edited:
What exactly does spangled and opaline mean? I'm guessing greywing is when the barring is grey instead of black? Also what colors would they each be considered (all except the rehomed ones)? Would dad be a blue greywing?
A spangled is a reversed normal pattern all the chicks where spangled greywing is just that grey instead of black and opaline is hard to explain but opalines have a v shape on their backs

Hello! I'm interested in learning a bit about budgie color genetics. I own(ed) 4 budgies. 2 are the parents and 2 are their offspring (R.I.P. Kira). I would love to learn what the different colors are all called and what genetics are behind them. I also have a question on how my blue and green budgie hatch a white and blueish-purple one?

I'm not going to breed these birds anymore because I already have enough budgies. However I might pick up budgie breeding in the far future. Ethically of course, not like those breeders that stick 10 birds in a tiny cage or something. Mine would be pets as well, not just money making machines.

There are colors that I like more and I would really love to know the genetic "recipe" of. I have no idea what those colors would be called though.

Mango (father):
View attachment 3316613View attachment 3316612

Kira (mother):
View attachment 3316624View attachment 3316627

Offspring:

Ozzie:
View attachment 3316623View attachment 3316620

Hope (rehomed)
:
View attachment 3316611

Unnamed (rehomed):
View attachment 3316630

Princess:
View attachment 3316634View attachment 3316636

 How come Mango and Kira produced this color offspring? And how would I breed for that white and purple color with the incomplete wing barring if I wanted to in the future? I am absolutely in love with Princesses color. I'm also quite a fan of cinnamons (I think that's what they were called).

Thank you!
Princess is so cute!

Mango (father):
View attachment 3316613View attachment 3316612

Kira (mother):
View attachment 3316624View attachment 3316627

Offspring:

Ozzie:
View attachment 3316623View attachment 3316620

Hope (rehomed)
:
View attachment 3316611

Unnamed (rehomed):
View attachment 3316630

Princess:
View attachment 3316634View attachment 3316636

Thank you!
Kira's stature reminds me that of my dead bird "Alikkhi Pakhi"! It's weird how they look alike in my eyes even though they are of different colors and mutations! Very cute birds! RIP Kira, fly high child

Back
Top Bottom