I want guineas, would clipping the wings keep them in the yard?

D'Angelo N Va.

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
I have a 5 fence around the yard and pond, would that be high enough to keep a few guineas in if their wings were clipped?

Friend has 6 ft fence. Clips chicken wings & one still flys over. Guineas are stuborn if they want to fly they will do anything to do it. I can go days without seeing my guineas fly, then I look & I have a dozen guineas in a tree! I know wing clipping helps but don't think it would be enough.

oh ok,,,good to know. I would hate to see them in the road one day and have cars stopping and some not stopping..

Here at my place, a two foot fence may as well be a mile high. They will just pace back and forth forever. I've heard them called hardy birds plenty, but smart is a lesser used term with guineas. I say why not? Give it a try. I waste more money in a month on fast food than a few guineas cost anyway. I'd be willing to bet that's common among most of us.

Quote:
gig.gif
too funny...I just might do that.

Well I clipped wings tried one side at first nope didn't work then clipped both sides nope didn't work they still scaled a 6 1/2 foot fence like nothing. The only way I ever found to keep them in is to have a totally enclosed run.

My guinea likes to roost in a tree about 20 feet above the hen house. It has stayed in the hen house when it is particularly cold but it tends to stay out in the tree even in the rain. I have considered wing clipping but I was concerned that the bird would get itself somewhere that it couldn't get back out of. They are pretty savvy, but they are just birds. I think I'd second enclosing the bird if you don't want them flying.... most of our flock were destroyed when they were hit by a truck on the highway outside our place before I moved here.

D'Angelo N Va. :

oh ok,,,good to know. I would hate to see them in the road one day and have cars stopping and some not stopping..

My stupid Guineas shy away from people walking but ignore cars moving in the driveway, we have to wait on them to get out of the way. Also they follow and get in front of me when I'm using the riding mower. The noise and chaff tossing doesn't faze them, I think they are catching bugs kicked up by the mower.
And back to the original question, clipping wings of guineas won't keep them in the yard.​

yup as other said. clipping their wings will just make you go mad. youll clip them, release them, and watch them jump over the fence right before your eyes.
barnie.gif
he.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

the best way to keep them around and is still just dang hard to do is to keep fresh feed and water for them at alllllll times so they WANT to be there. another thought being give them something to WANT to do in your yard. that and clipping the wings should help some. youll always have some escapes. but you'll learn what works for you.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom