I want a good layer like sexlinks but...

I see a lot of people saying that their Buff Orpingtons are good layers, mine are not. I mean, they laid pretty well the first season but they started laying much later than other breeds. They laid through the first winter into their molt. Their second season was 'meh' at best and their third season is coming up. They will not make the cut this season, I am afraid. Great birds that have a lot of personality and are friendly but they eat like a horse and just don't give the eggs that I want. (Mine are from Cackle.)

I also have OEG(LF and Bantam) and both are terrible layers. Lovely birds and these ones are 'pets' so they are safe. Explosive personality and they are kind of flighty or active I guess you could say. They love to free range from first light until dark.

I would say that my lone Barred rock is my best layer. She is going on her fourth season (a left over chick that my mother started with). I still get an egg 5-6 days a week from here and almost year round. She slows down a bit in the winter but not a lot and not for long. I know which egg is hers because it is misshapen and I had her on her own for a long time. (Also a pet.) (From TSC.)

My RR's and Australorps come close as well. These birds are the same age as my Orpingtons. Going on their third season but they lay so much better. In the summer and spring I get about 5-6 eggs a week per bird if averaged out. They slow down in December and almost stop in January and come back up in production in February. (From TSC.)

My EE's are my Young ones, this is their first season and unlike most of the other birds they did not lay through their first winter. Well, they did not stop but I have half a dozen of them and I only get about 1-2 eggs a day. Though that seems to have picked up to 2-3 in the past week. (It has been very cold and I have had a harder time keeping the water filled without freezing.) (From TSC.)

Anyway, that has been my experience per breed with chickens. My BR, RR and Australorps are the better layers around here. Good luck and have fun!

My brother in Canada has a flock of australorps and is enamored with them. He’s been breeding pigeons (Hungarian high flyers?) for a while but this was his first year with chickens. X2 on the ‘lorps laying 5+ per week even in winter and being pretty and pleasant dispositioned.

An australorp is also one of our upcoming spring chick order.

My brother in Canada has a flock of australorps and is enamored with them. He’s been breeding pigeons (Hungarian high flyers?) for a while but this was his first year with chickens. X2 on the ‘lorps laying 5+ per week even in winter and being pretty and pleasant dispositioned.

I had three Australorps. They never laid me a single egg.

(granted... they might have all had lovely shiny saddle feathers and they did crow now and then, but surely that wouldn't have an effect on rate of lay, right? :lol: )

He has also three of those troublemakers, all but one getting the axe once the incubator is full this spring ;)
I on the other hand am content to have an all girl party and buy my chicks in variety pack.

I had three Australorps. They never laid me a single egg.

(granted... they might have all had lovely shiny saddle feathers and they did crow now and then, but surely that wouldn't have an effect on rate of lay, right? :lol: )

t

Dr. Feathers... What is the hawk situation with those Hungarian Highflyers of your brother? I wonder if they do any better against them than Birmingham rollers? (which took a beating).

He once had a flock of crows pick off a few flock members as he let them out to fly. Not as many hawks in his neck of the woods, mostly fishing birds of prey.

t

Dr. Feathers... What is the hawk situation with those Hungarian Highflyers of your brother? I wonder if they do any better against them than Birmingham rollers? (which took a beating).

Back
Top Bottom