I think this 5 week old barred rock is a roo?

GiddyUpGo

Songster
Feb 11, 2021
I am still pretty new to chick rearing but this chick looks pretty strange to me and I’m thinking it might be because she is a he. Still has a pretty pale comb but her (his?) feathers are really bright (see pictures). Of course I’m not even 100 percent sure this is even a barred rock — they told me something else when I bought her and when I googled it it seemed to be a breed that doesn’t exist so I’m not sure they really knew what they were talking about. What do you all think, roo? Barred rock or no? For the record the bright feathers are only on her chest, the rest of is pretty dark.

Attachments

• 1E138192-39F9-47F4-9BE5-BFA547F2A35E.jpeg
    1E138192-39F9-47F4-9BE5-BFA547F2A35E.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 022EB709-AF46-4917-A3B4-0A783AEA06DA.jpeg
    022EB709-AF46-4917-A3B4-0A783AEA06DA.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 44
She was from a store. The people working there really did not know anything about their chicks, they told us our other two were a completely different breed than they turned out to be. I wish I could remember what they said this one was. It was something “rock” but definitely not barred rock. I did Google it and found no one referencing it anywhere so I figured the salesperson was just confused.

Hooray for google search history, they told me she was a “puff rock.” And I thought, “hmm I’ve never heard of a puff rock before” and then I learned that the internet hasn’t heard of a puff rock before either ... 🤔

It really is a beautiful bird. I love the pattern. I agree it looks most like a pencilled rock but not quite. Could be what is known as “hatchery“ quality which does not really matter for you as an owner but would explain why the feathers don’t quite fit.😊
When you said puff rock made me think of punk rock, it was a good laugh! 🤣Most people in the stores that sell chicks do not know really much about them.
I also agree it’s looking a bit boyish but still too early to be certain.😊

Back
Top Bottom