I think I have a sick hen, please help!

BantamFan4Life

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Pyeongtaek, South Korea
My Frizzle Cochin Bantam hen isn't doing well all of the sudden. This morning when I went out to the coop she was incessantly sneezing, constantly each her face with her foot, she is opening her mouth really wide a gasping for breath, and I scrutinized her face and it appeared to have a greenish tint in it. I am not very experienced with my chickens getting sick, however I did have a hen that was breathing out of her beak when I held her. Is my chicken sick? Or am I just overreacting?

It almost sounds as if she has gotten something stuck in either her throat or nostril. If possible have someone hold her so that you can give a good examination. If you see a foreign body, try to gently pull it out with a pair of tweezers. Good luck.

I tried to look down her beak but she wouldn't let me (she's not very tame). However, she looks fine now...
hu.gif

Scratching at her beak with her foot was pretty typical of getting something in a nostril. I have pulled grass, straw, hay, etc from the nostrils of birds showing similar symptoms. Glad that the problem has resolved.

Scratching at her beak with her foot was pretty typical of getting something in a nostril. I have pulled grass, straw, hay, etc from the nostrils of birds showing similar symptoms. Glad that the problem has resolved.
Yeah, hopefully it has. I haven't cleaned my coop in a long time so I wonder if it is possibly because of the high ammonia in the air. I will be cleaning the coop out today though.

Back
Top Bottom