I need the incubating run through for the Little Giant deluxe incubator!

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I need to know everything I can about incubating! All the basics, and everything I need to know for emergencies, everything! I have started reading the manual, but I have found it hard to understand and kinda confusing. I am using the Little Giant Delux incubator with automatic turner. In the manual, it keeps talking about the other incubators by this brand, and the still air one and such, and I down know which incubator the manual is talking about. I am kind confused, plus it it saying the egg turner is sold separately, but I am pretty sure that I see it in the bator. I am a first timer, and defiantly need some help! I will be incubating chicken eggs for my first time! Thanks Avery!

Plug it in. Run it for a week in the spot you’re going to hatch from. Observe and get a feel for it. Make adjustments needed.
After youre comfortable with it. Add water to see what the humidity does.
Then go for it.
Before mine cooked my eggs, I was dry incubating, and planning on raising humidity to 60-70% (or just under where condensation forms on viewing window) at lockdown.

Yep I still have my very old one. They’ve probably made huge advances since then, so some of my comments may be outdated. Unfortunately mine isn’t digital, so I only know how to set it from what I’ve read.

Even though your new one is digital, check for hot/cold spots when you pretest it. That was one of the bigger issues I had, though there was still variation.

Also if they still use hardware cloth to cover the water reservoirs at the bottom, watch for burrs. You add water to the little shallow troughs in the bottom, under the HC.

Humidity was not a big issue with mine, but I am near the coast. It does go through water pretty quickly. There are red humidity plugs which you’ll pop in or out to adjust humidity.

Once you get chicken eggs going, there may be some small fluctuations in temp and humidity. Don’t panic and fuss with the thermostat too much. Remember that even chicken butts won’t always be exactly 99.5F. If it doesn’t normalize, make very small adjustments.

You will not be struck by lightning if you open the bator daily to check water levels, candle, or take proud parent photos .;) Many folks even swear that it’s a necessity for some species. Just keep those open times reasonable (like a mama hen who gets up briefly to do her daily business).

Well that’s what I can think of so far....

Hey Avery! First of all congrats on your first incubation, you’re gonna love it! I’ve only used the Little Giant deluxe once but it was with a friend and he kept it at his house so I wasn’t there to see how it all worked. Anyway, I’m sure you might already know a lot of this but some general advice I’ve figured out over time For incubating:

1. I would do it the first time inside, especially with how cold it’s getting, and bugs tend to camp under the incubator if you do it outside or in a garage
2. With most incubators, If you accidentally unplug or turn off the incubator, it doesn’t reset everything once you plug it back in/turn it on
3. In case the power goes out, eggs can go up to 24 hours I believe without heat (our power goes out a lot because of snowstorms) try not to open the incubator if that happens
4. Like a few others said, let it run for about a week and observe how it does, what flaws you may find, and that’ll ultimately help you see how everything works. I like to let my eggs just sit out for about half a day to let their air cells settle and get them used to room temp before putting them in
5. Have fun with those lil cuties! Send pics when they hatch!:D:jumpy

Hey Avery! First of all congrats on your first incubation, you’re gonna love it! I’ve only used the Little Giant deluxe once but it was with a friend and he kept it at his house so I wasn’t there to see how it all worked. Anyway, I’m sure you might already know a lot of this but some general advice I’ve figured out over time For incubating:

1. I would do it the first time inside, especially with how cold it’s getting, and bugs tend to camp under the incubator if you do it outside or in a garage
2. With most incubators, If you accidentally unplug or turn off the incubator, it doesn’t reset everything once you plug it back in/turn it on
3. In case the power goes out, eggs can go up to 24 hours I believe without heat (our power goes out a lot because of snowstorms) try not to open the incubator if that happens
4. Like a few others said, let it run for about a week and observe how it does, what flaws you may find, and that’ll ultimately help you see how everything works. I like to let my eggs just sit out for about half a day to let their air cells settle and get them used to room temp before putting them in
5. Have fun with those lil cuties! Send pics when they hatch!:D:jumpy
Thank you! I was planning on maybe putting it in our garage so I am glad I posted this thread, and now I know to put inside! I and gonna incubate in the spring, but will probably start it up this winter, and get used to it! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom