I need some answers please

mc3742

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 30, 2012
I was hoping that someone could help me please. I've lost 5 chickens in the last two weeks. They live in a nice heated coop. I provide them with fresh water twice a day and they get fed twice also. They have a nice fenced in run to get out in and stretch. Like I said in the past two weeks I've found 5 of them dead in the coop. I did notice a pile of bloody poop and assumed that it was probably related. Also should I be eating these eggs that I collect? The only ones dying were introced to my other girls 2 months ago from a fellow who I very well trust and could no longer keep them due to his health. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear about your losses. Can you give us a bit more info, please? How old are they? What have you been feeding them? Did they get fed medicated food at any stage? Did they act different or show any signs of being sick before dying?

Did you quarantine them before you introduced them into your flock? If the only ones dying are the new ones (and your original birds seem fine) it may be that they were introduced to something in your environment that they were not used to (such as a bacteria, etc) That doesn't mean that you may have bad bacteria and such in your flock environment, it more so means that the new birds may not have had time for their immunity to build up to it if you skipped an adequate quarantine/adjustment period.

I thank everyone for the helpful info. I did not quarantine them, I gave them wormer yesterday and another antibiodic today that was recommended by a friend who also has chickens. No new deaths so far today, I'm hoping for the best in the morning. Does anyone know if these eggs are ok to eat?

Bloody poop, kinda sounds like they are eating something sharp and bleeding to death internally. Examine the poop for something foreign.

I thank everyone for the helpful info. I did not quarantine them, I gave them wormer yesterday and another antibiodic today that was recommended by a friend who also has chickens. No new deaths so far today, I'm hoping for the best in the morning. Does anyone know if these eggs are ok to eat?
I think you should discard them, just in case and more so now that you've given them medicine. There will be some medicine residue in the eggs now. Depending on the meds the withdrawal period could take up to 14 days.

Back
Top Bottom