I NEED HELP WITH MY CHICKEN COOP!

akahn01

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Virginia
Ok, here is the story. Me and my family had the local handyman come over to look at a couple things around the house. My dad brought up while he was showing him the other tasks the chicken coop that we wanted to be made. He said he would add up the expenses and get back to us. He called us back and said it was going to cost 2000 dollars. We thought we could buy a decent one for less on the internet so thats were you guys come in. Anyone got any links for chicken coops for sale? it could be companys or private people ether one.

Post/look in the coop area... Someone's selling a nice one for 100 (YAY!), the only con is you have to pick it up.

where are you located in virginia?

you can get a shed from lowes that simply requires assembly for much less than that.

Lowes and Home Depot have nice sheds from around 500 DIY to $1200 prefab. All you would have to do is put in a roost and cut a chicken door. $ 2,000. is pretty steep. One that would accomodate that number of chickens could be built easily. I am building one right now. Its 4 x 8' and I am only going to have about $ 150.00 when complete. Email me at [email protected] and I can help you get started if you want. I am going to post photos and instructions when I finish it this week. I am 63 and I am doing it with very little help from DH. It works best that way since I am a fly by the seat of my pants sort of gal and he is way to precise and fusses if things are not perfect. .

Good lord! $2000. We altered a Xtra-large dog house and hung a light. My 6 chickens are extremely happy in it. They need shleter and protection from predators and some space to stretch out. You know, even with all the space in teh dog house, they all pile in the corner together at night, rather than space out!

A coop the size of Jimnjay's would have the added bonus of allowing you to get more chickens when you really get bitten by the bug!

yippiechickie.gif

I agree with what everyone else has said here: $2000 is an awful lot for a coop for four or five chickens. You might ask your handyman how big he was planning on building it. He may not know much about chickens, and he may have simply been planning for something too grand for your needs, hence the high price tag. If you really have no building skills, just get a prefab building and add a roost, some nest boxes and a chicken-sized door.

D.gif

Back
Top Bottom