i had 2 hens , one died, I need a new one, what age is safe

What is your definition of "safe?" Regardless if you get an adult hen, a young pullet or even chicks, they'll need to be integrated in.

For me the safest bet would be newly hatched chicks from an established hatchery, as they're the least likely vectors of disease. Anything older should be quarantined for up to a month: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/ before you begin the introductory period, unless you're willing to take the risk of transferred disease or parasites.

Get more than one - at least two or three, and I agree that chicks are the safest bet in terms of biosecurity. If you only get one, at any age, and it dies, you're back to square one. So make sure you have a buffer, because anything can happen, especially with new chickens. And whatever age you get, they'll need to be integrated slowly over time (in addition to quarantine if they're not fresh chicks).

I would definitely get at least 2 and age doesn't matter so much as size does. You want them to be of equal size so that they can fend for themselves

I would definitely get at least 2 and age doesn't matter so much as size does. You want them to be of equal size so that they can fend for themselves
Size doesn't matter, as they will never fend for themselves as newcomers at any age, if by "fend for themselves" you mean stand up to the older chicken(s) and challenge them or resist being dominated. A new chicken is automatically bottom of the pecking order, at any age, and will submit and defer to the host chicken(s). So the new chickens don't need to be able to confront the hosts, they need to be able to evade and avoid, and younger birds are better at that because they are faster and fit in smaller spaces (can hide behind and under things to get away, can jump and fly higher to safety). The host hen will have the advantage of owning the territory, but the new chickens will have strength in numbers, and may eventually dethrone her. If they are introduced properly - with a long period of "see don't touch" where they are in view of her but she can't get to them - then they'll be able to be merged without much conflict at any age. I usually start introducing my new chicks behind a chicken wire divider when they are 4-5 weeks old, and by 6-7 weeks old they are permanently merged with the adult flock with no drama (after spending about 2 weeks behind the chicken wire divider, in view of the flock).

Size doesn't matter, as they will never fend for themselves as newcomers at any age, if by "fend for themselves" you mean stand up to the older chicken(s) and challenge them or resist being dominated. A new chicken is automatically bottom of the pecking order, at any age, and will submit and defer to the host chicken(s). So the new chickens don't need to be able to confront the hosts, they need to be able to evade and avoid, and younger birds are better at that because they are faster and fit in smaller spaces (can hide behind and under things to get away, can jump and fly higher to safety). The host hen will have the advantage of owning the territory, but the new chickens will have strength in numbers, and may eventually dethrone her. If they are introduced properly - with a long period of "see don't touch" where they are in view of her but she can't get to them - then they'll be able to be merged without much conflict at any age. I usually start introducing my new chicks behind a chicken wire divider when they are 4-5 weeks old, and by 6-7 weeks old they are permanently merged with the adult flock with no drama (after spending about 2 weeks behind the chicken wire divider, in view of the flock).
Size absolutely matters. They will be at the bottom of the pecking order like you said and need to be able to handle themselves. A younger, smaller chick can be hurt so much easier than a bigger one

Size absolutely matters. They will be at the bottom of the pecking order like you said and need to be able to handle themselves. A younger, smaller chick can be hurt so much easier than a bigger one
The advice usually given by the more experienced chicken keepers is that size doesn't matter, and that chicks are better at evading and staying out of the way than full grown birds are. And by chicks I don't mean young fuzzy ones that would normally be under the protection of their mom. I mean older chicks at the age when she would normally wean them and they'd be on their own already anyway, after fully feathered and around the ages I mentioned. If integration was done properly, by the time they are merged with the older hen any conflict would be to establish pecking order, she wouldn't be out to murder them (for size to play a role at all, in them withstanding murderous attacks). So how you integrate matters more than size or age.

The advice usually given by the more experienced chicken keepers is that size doesn't matter, and that chicks are better at evading and staying out of the way than full grown birds are. And by chicks I don't mean young fuzzy ones that would normally be under the protection of their mom. I mean older chicks at the age when she would normally wean them and they'd be on their own already anyway, after fully feathered and around the ages I mentioned. If integration was done properly, by the time they are merged with the older hen any conflict would be to establish pecking order, she wouldn't be out to murder them (for size to play a role at all, in them withstanding murderous attacks). So how you integrate matters more than size or age.
I'm just speaking from my personal experience. It's always been much less drama adding my bigger hens than my smaller hens

I'm just speaking from my personal experience. It's always been much less drama adding my bigger hens than my smaller hens
As they say, "your experience may vary", but I'm relying on the experienced people's experience, plus my own of adding pigeon-sized young pullets to an adult flock every year for many years without bloodshed or drama.

Back
Top Bottom