I found this hard lumps on my chickens back.Could someone explain what that is to me?

Gabi_Smecheroiu

Hatching
Sep 29, 2023
I didnt check on my chicken for some time now,and when i went to day i saw that one of my chickens had the se lumps on her back.I saw some threads here and it might be turmours or something else.I don't know much about chickens,but i suspect it being something to do with her baldness.Most of my chickens had a time where they didnt grow feathers at all.I tried to isolate them,with some it worked but some of them only grow them recently other than one who has the lumps.Could someone please explain what it is to me?

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 83
It's very important to know how long these dark lesions have been on the chicken. Try to think. Did they just start when the chicken began to molt and pin feathers started coming in? If so, those could be pecking injuries from the other chickens cannibalizing her blood rich pin feathers.

On the other hand, if you think these lesions have been there for several months or may have shown up prior to this chicken molting, then I would say they could be squamous cancer lesions.

It's very important to know how long these dark lesions have been on the chicken. Try to think. Did they just start when the chicken began to molt and pin feathers started coming in? If so, those could be pecking injuries from the other chickens cannibalizing her blood rich pin feathers.

On the other hand, if you think these lesions have been there for several months or may have shown up prior to this chicken molting, then I would say they could be squamous cancer lesions.
they most likely showed up this week,its not like i checked up on them but didnt really look on how they feel or if they are injured

Then I would assume these are pecking wounds. It's easy enough to observe the behavior of the other chickens when you place her in their midst. Set yourself up in a comfortable chair in the warm afternoon and observe your flock as they interact. From the number of wounds on this chicken, there is very likely some chickens that are habitually using this chicken as a source for a quick snack of fresh blood feathers.

To discourage any cannibalistic behavior, you can get Blu-kote or gentian violet and paint in on the entire are of exposed tissue. It will not only help heal the wounds, but it will disguise them so the other chickens will not be drawn to the blood feathers. I use a Q-tip or a small paint brush to paint the skin as this stuff stains. Repaint each day as the stuff comes off when a chicken dirt bathes. Keep doing it until her new feathers again cover the skin on her back and anywhere else the others are pecking at her pin feathers.

Back
Top Bottom