I dont think they are fertile, but what do you think,?

April B

Chirping
Mar 9, 2023
Not sure.... Fertile or not?

Attachments

• PXL_20240315_193517054.jpg
    PXL_20240315_193517054.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 30
I don't see the "bullseye" but pictures don't always show it.
How many hens/roosters do you have?

I don't see the "bullseye" but pictures don't always show it.
How many hens/roosters do you have?
3 hens 1 rooster. But they are belgian liege fighters, so im thinking they are slow maturers. 🤷 I just don't want to waste time incubating if they are iffy.

I think in some small way, temperature plays a roll. A hen's body temperature is right for cell division to commence in the blastoderm begun as soon as a single sperm enters the blastodisc. In the ensuing 24 hours, that white spot continues to grow imperceptibly. The older cells begin to die off creating the blank space causing the derm to get the halo effect. I don't know what the actual effect is but I can imagine ambient temperature affects how much or little of a halo effect is created. This is the case not only regardless of breed, but also all bird eggs.

3 hens 1 rooster. But they are belgian liege fighters, so im thinking they are slow maturers. 🤷 I just don't want to waste time incubating if they are iffy.
One way to check without wasting too much incubator time: put them in the incubator for about three days, then take them out and crack them open to look. Fertile eggs will be showing development by then, but infertile ones will not. If they are infertile, they should still be safe to eat after 3 days of incubation. Fertile ones would also be safe to eat, but may not be appetizing :)

Back
Top Bottom