Hybrid Pheasants

Quote:
Any of the Golden pheasants, Ghigi yellow, red, peach etc. can cross with L Amherst. They are just color mutations of the Red Golden. So, yes they will be fertile. I did an internet search once and came across a scientific paper that explained the genetics of such a cross. It was interesting that the F1 and F2 generations from the cross were diffferent in color pattern. In fact I believe, if I still remember correctly, you get different results when mating a male Amherst to a golden hen than you do mating a golden male to an Amherst hen. I'll see if I can come up with that link again. If I do, I'll post it.

Very nice birds SR, especially the silver/ringneck cross! I'm not spitting at you but I really think it's terrible to raise hybrids, of course I know you won't sell them to the public.

Last edited:
They're all very nice birds I have no problem at all with hybrids if you cross a pretty bird with a preety bird you get a beautiful bird. As long as they're sterile but I don't mind if there not either..........

Quote:
So obviously,you have no problem killing off the pure bloodlines so you can produce mutts?Leaving the gene pool empty.Killing off what we have been protecting for years so everyone can enjoy them in their true pure form.
I personally would wish you would raise chickens and not pheasants as I have been raising pure birds for 28 years.Not ruining what I and many other have been working on for years.
In N.H.,Tony.

Quote:
So obviously,you have no problem killing off the pure bloodlines so you can produce mutts?Leaving the gene pool empty.Killing off what we have been protecting for years so everyone can enjoy them in their true pure form.
I personally would wish you would raise chickens and not pheasants as I have been raising pure birds for 28 years.Not ruining what I and many other have been working on for years.
In N.H.,Tony.

They can do what they want with their birds. The point of sterile hybrids is to keep them from making more hybrids. It's not killing the gene pool.

I wish people like you would keep their demanding opnions to themselves.

Personally I would be interested in trying for chicken/pheasant hybrids. Seems interesting.... How does that happen? Make Chicken/Female pheasant or vice versa or could it work either way?

I was actually looking at a pair of pheasants today to put in my aviary just for my own enjoyment. How long does it take for them to color out?

People like me are the ones that make it possible for people like you to enjoy these birds.Was the first pheasant you saw a crossbreed?Probably not,and that is what we are striding for,to keep them pure for generations to enjoy.They are disappearing in their natural habitat as people build and push them out of their forest and into another animals domain.Being that most birds are near the bottom of the food chain they a disappearing in rapid numbers.If we crossbreed them we are going to put them on the endangered list,which some are already there.They don't need our help to get there.They need our help to preserve them in their true species.
But I guess you know more then I do about,seems you don't know how long it takes them to color out.
In N.H.,Tony.

I've never had pheasants before which is why I asked. People with an attitude like yours discourage someone like me from wanting them. Most people want a bird for COLOR, but there are people out there who breed birds to preserve the standard.

And actually, yes the first pheasants I saw were crossbreeds and they were hideously ugly. Which is why I looked into different pheasants in the first place.

Tell me what do you know about Lemurs? I work with them and know all to well about breeding to preserve, but we still are forced to crossbreed sometimes for one reason or another.

You need an attitude adjustment. And I refuse to argue with you further and risk this person's thread being closed.

I don't have an attitude at all.I have been raising and preserving these birds for years with hopes that others will follow.Most people just don't get how fast you can wipe out a species.One year of crossbreeding will wipe out 7 generations of pure birds,just 1 season.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom