Pics

lilapot

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2016
Houston, TX
Hi, I live in Houston, and Hurricane Harvey is heading our way. We are not evacuating, as we have pets, tenants, etc. I think we will be keeping the chickens in the bathroom, we don't wan't them blown away or anything. Do you have any advice on chickens and hurricanes? Topics such as: where to have them roost, eggs, boredom, and any other things you see fit.

Thank you in advance!:thumbsup

We are in New Orleans, where the street water pumps are mostly out of order right now, 2 weeks ago we had heavy rain and my backyard including my chicken roost area and run were a swamp. We will be preparing our 2nd floor laundry room, so that our hens can be housed there if necessary. If we get lots of rain for days there is a very good chance there will be flooding that will impact homes that are 3 to 5 feet off the ground. The city is offering bag-it-yourself sand bags, I am 60 years old and have lived here all my life. This is the first time in my lifetime that the city has provided sand bags. I would hope everyone in Harvey's path has considered how they are going to protect their flock, people who did not make plans for their animals protection were face with real tragedy during and after Katrina. It was really sad for the animals.

Back
Top Bottom