• Not currently

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

HomesteaderWife

Free Ranging
9 Years
Apr 24, 2015
Alabama
I wanted to share a quick, simple recipe for hummingbird nectar before their migration comes later in the year (about August through October). If your home is anything like ours, you may already have a few making their residence and flying around. Rubythroats are our main hummingbirds here, and we have 5 currently visiting daily.

Firstly, be aware that red food coloring can be harmful to these sensitive little hummers. This is why I prefer to make my own nectar. If you have red and/or yellow coloring on your feeder- they'll come to it just fine! Plus, for those of you who will be swarmed by them in later months on their journey South, making your own is much cheaper than going and buying pre-made nectar in the store!

I follow the universal recipe, which is recommended by the National Audubon Society
https://www.audubon.org/news/how-make-hummingbird-nectar

It uses a 4:1 ration, which means 4 parts water to 1 part sugar.

1 cup water - > 1/4 cup sugar
2 cups water - > 1/2 cup sugar
3 cups water - > 3/4 cup sugar
4 cups water - > 1 cup sugar

And so on. Bring your water to a boil, then combine the sugar until thoroughly dissolved. Make sure to let it cool before filling your feeders. Another very important factor it to clean the feeders by hand, and to change their nectar as well. We change our nectar twice a week. I recommend not making too terribly much to start to avoid waste- for our five hummers that currently live here, I make a 2 cup water 1/2 cup sugar mix that lasts for half the week until the next change.

Hummingbirds also love a variety of flowers- do some research into the types of flowers they enjoy frequenting to plant and prepare for next migration season. Especially with their territorial nature, this will help ensure other birds who may be unable to make it to the feeder have a place to find nectar.

I hope this has been of some help or value to anyone who loves hummingbirds. I'll be sure to post some pictures later! Please feel free to share photos you've taken of the hummingbirds at your house.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! :thumbsup

I no longer invite those little beauties to visit my flock after visiting how many other backyard flocks on their migration. Pass on the *added* invite of possible disease or illness. It wouldn't be in my nature to not put the info out for those who may not consider it. The risk IS there! :(

I do have other things that grow and invite them naturally (not from me planting). Not being dependent on my feeders doesn't mean I don't see them or have them!

I can usually watch several mating displays each year. I can't see the females, but their is NO mistaking a male hummer flying way up in the air and diving to make a whistle or chirp type sound right at the bottom as they pull back up to where they came from... over and over again. The acrobatics is amazing. :love

I also usually see at least a few territorial battles and some fly catching under my patio.

One final note... they also visit my sprinkler and love taking baths in it! You just can't fight nature sometimes. :cool:

I thought I might add...

Seems like when I did hang the hummer feeders... the recipe, if you are in a cold area where it might freeze, changes to 3 parts water to 1 part sugar. I believe it reduces the risk of the feeder freezing, though it may also be intended as extra energy. :)

Thanks for sharing @HomesteaderWife I've been feeding the Hummers for 25 years here in New Mexico. I just LOVE these tiny winged friends. We've got the Broadtails, Blackchinned, Caliope and Rufus Hummer. The Rufus are due to start migrating through here in early July. Right now I have about 20+ of the Broadtails, Blackchinned and a couple Caliopes and going through 6 cups of feed a day. When the Rufus are at full strength in mid July through Labor day, I will be going through about 1 1/2 gallons of feed a day! About 80+ hummers will all be swarming 5 feeders like bees. I just LOVE the hummingbirds!! :)

Thanks for sharing @HomesteaderWife I've been feeding the Hummers for 25 years here in New Mexico. I just LOVE these tiny winged friends. We've got the Broadtails, Blackchinned, Caliope and Rufus Hummer. The Rufus are due to start migrating through here in early July. Right now I have about 20+ of the Broadtails, Blackchinned and a couple Caliopes and going through 6 cups of feed a day. When the Rufus are at full strength in mid July through Labor day, I will be going through about 1 1/2 gallons of feed a day! About 80+ hummers will all be swarming 5 feeders like bees. I just LOVE the hummingbirds!! :)

if you are in a cold area where it might freeze, changes to 3 parts water to 1 part sugar. I believe it reduces the risk of the feeder freezing, though it may also be intended as extra energy. :)

Hummers can be demanding jerks but they're one of the few wild birds I enjoy seeing, so I do encourage them to hang around my yard.

The way I deal with freezing feeders is to have doubles of all the feeders, and keep the backups in the garage or house and swap it out in the morning. This is assuming you don't take them in... in many areas people just stop hanging them in fall so the birds move on, however I usually have a few resident birds so I feed them through the winter.

My favorite part of the day, early, early morning to sit on my deck with my tea and watch my hummers. I have two feeders out, use exactly the recipe of 4 to 1 ratio and my Rufous and Anna's hummingbirds manage to plow through both feeders daily. I had at least 20 buzzing around yesterday. I have left out the feeders in the winter but here up in the hills, the birds are gone in the cold weather so I stopped putting them out.

@oregonkat - Our hummers seem to frequent more in the cool late morning/afternoon hours. 9 AM to 11 AM usually. I have a feeder down by my workshop and I love to sit under the shade tree and just watch them. I had 4 different females yesterday sitting either on branches above me or at the feeder (that's a busy day for us before migration!)

Back
Top Bottom