Humidity Problem in Lockdown- Help Appreciated.

Rose100

Hatching
Sep 8, 2017
Hi.

So we have twelve mixed breed chook eggs up to day 21. Last night the incubator was briefly opened and unfortunately the lid didn't make it back down with a complete seal. The humidity dropped to around 30% for an hour or so. The lid was repositioned for overnight, and in the light of day, I saw that it still hadn't gone on quite right and there was a small gap. The humidy for the night has been around 55%. It is now properly closed and humidity up to 68%.

Two eggs are pipped, (one about 20 hours ago, one 12) and we can hear cheeping. So my questions are-

1. Should I assume that the membranes have dried out and that they will need to be assisted.
2. In that case, do we assist the ones that haven't pipped yet too.
3. If I read any 'assisted hatching' post, will that be what I do? Is there anything particular to this situation.

Thank you so much for any input and help,
Rose

Thankyou Jolene. One that wasn't pipped has just hatched. So maybe it's just the one (or two) that were pipped that might have passed. I think I've left them too long already.

They really must be pipped before you can safely "help" a chick emerge. If not pipped in another day, but cheeping, it may be possible to get them to pip, by dipping small end of the egg into water hotter than the incubator temperature, just to give a little added moisture. BE sure there is no crack or pip under water. And helping is a skill. ---just a bit of chipping at a time. IF BLOOD shows, STOP--not ready to hatch. If chick is wiggly, keep going around the end and let the chick push the top off andthen set it down and let it push out of the shell on its own. If stuck, drip a bit of very warm water along side the chick to loosen it, so it can push out of the shell. Keep chick warm to dry. Warming an inactive chick, just hatched, can be life saving. Chilling just before hatch is not necessarily a death sentence, even if it can be. Hard to write an explanation. Experience us the best teacher. GOOD LUCK. p

Back
Top Bottom