Hula Hoop Chunnel

T21farms

Hatching
Mar 11, 2018
I got a little overzealous -- that's what happens when you're shopping for baby chicks and have kids with you -- and bought 20 chicks and 2 ducks. We have a barn with a convenient stall that goes out to the ground over our septic field but we have to get the chickens through or around a small lean-to on the barn. I bought a dozen hula hoops thinking I'd cut off the bottom third and use those as the braces for the chunnel. Anyone have experience with this? My chunnel is going to be absurdly colorful, but it was the quickest, cheapest option I could think of. Will post pictures when I'm done.

Ev

I use 5' lengths of pex tubing to hold up my cold frames so I don't see why your idea shouldn't work as long as you don't need it to be predator-proof. The hula hoops will likely need replacing after a while as they'll become brittle in sunlight.
An absurdly colorful chunnel sounds lovely!

I use 5' lengths of pex tubing to hold up my cold frames so I don't see why your idea shouldn't work as long as you don't need it to be predator-proof. The hula hoops will likely need replacing after a while as they'll become brittle in sunlight.
An absurdly colorful chunnel sounds lovely!

WE MADE THE CHUNNEL! The whole family got out there and we made the cutest chunnel EVER. The hula hoops are in ROYGBIV sequence. We have enough to make another chunnel but for right now it's too cold to leave them outside, so we're just taking them out for a bit of play time every day. Will post pictures when I'm on my phone. It was so cute! As we were walking along as a family, each of us under a hula hoop, we looked like Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar. We made it in the driveway then walked it to the garden. The kids are getting invested!

Evelyn

Back
Top Bottom