Huge combs on ISA Browns

You may still see eggs from them and can give them a good life.

I would be giving a chick starter feed or a 20% protein feed and oyster shell on the side.
Lots of time to recover and I think you will see a big difference in them.

Just know that most of us are saying they look much much older than 20 weeks.

Their beaks look a bit short.....like they had been cut back due to pecking/cannibalism. That too tells me they are older and were crowded.

They also look more like red sex links than ISA's to me.

I don't think those hens are as young as the previous owners said they were. As for the large combs, no idea! It's great that you are caring for them.

Thank you, I'm trying! I felt so bad for them when I saw them, I'd have taken 20 if I could have fit them in the dog crate I brought for transport (which is what the guy suggested.) They literally grabbed them by the necks and threw them in the crate. I was horrified.

Thank you, I'm trying! I felt so bad for them when I saw them, I'd have taken 20 if I could have fit them in the dog crate I brought for transport (which is what the guy suggested.) They literally grabbed them by the necks and threw them in the crate. I was horrified.
I know, it is so sad when people don't treat their animals with care. It makes you want to 1) Treat the owner the way they are treating the animal, and 2) take all the animals home and care for them forever.

You may still see eggs from them and can give them a good life.

I would be giving a chick starter feed or a 20% protein feed and oyster shell on the side.
Lots of time to recover and I think you will see a big difference in them.

Just know that most of us are saying they look much much older than 20 weeks.

Their beaks look a bit short.....like they had been cut back due to pecking/cannibalism. That too tells me they are older and were crowded.

They also look more like red sex links than ISA's to me.

They were absolutely crowded. The conditions they were being kept in were kind of appalling but I chalked it up to "they have hundreds of them so they are in this for money so I guess that's the most cost efficient way to do it" and whether I feel right about it is rather inconsequential. One of them is terrorizing my RIR chicks so I was debating on whether or not to keep her. I'm still debating on whether or not I'll end up keeping them. For now I'm just trying to restore some health and make them comfortable. I'm an animal lover and I've only culled one guinea before due to illness. My rooster was a real jerk and I couldn't cull him because I didn't have the heart. I offered him up for free, noting his behavior and someone who wanted a good free range rooster took him and he's doing well. I hate to think I might have to dispose of any but maybe I could offer them up for free as well (with full disclosure) if they don't work out.

Back
Top Bottom