Howdy from the Keys!

Welcome to BYC. I'm sure Karen recognizes her name, and not just your tone of voice. Mine know their own names as well as those of the others in the flock. When I call someone's name, they all turn and look at that one.
By the way, if Karen turns out to be a cockerel will you change her name?
Hah! I had not even considered Karen might be a cockerel! 😳😱

I’m attaching a few pics here so hopefully they upload alright. The black chick on my shoulder is Karen. Karen is an attention hog and never allows me to take pics of the other chickens without being in the photo. The pullet behind her is Ranji. Behind Ranji is Honey. Blondie is camera shy so I have yet to get a pic of her but she’s the same color as Ranji and Blondie.

If anyone has a clue of their breed, I’m all ears!!!
Since there are wild chickens roaming in your area, and Karen the black one was found as an abandoned chick, Karen is probably a mix rather than belonging to any particular breed.

For the three from the store, they are most likely some version of Red Sexlink. Females are typically red with white feathers in their wings and tails and a few other places, and they grow up to lay nice brown eggs. They are sold with many different names (Golden Comet, ISA Brown, Red Star, Golden Sexlink, Red Sexlink, and many others.) They are the most common kind of chicken to have that coloring.

If they grow up to lay green eggs, they would probably be Starlight Green Eggers.

If they turn out to be males, then they would not be Red Sexlinks (because that coloring is female-only in Sexlinks), but they could be Starlight Green Eggers or they could be something else (but I can't easily think of what the "something else" might be.)

Last edited:
Since there are wild chickens roaming in your area, and Karen the black one was found as an abandoned chick, Karen is probably a mix rather than belonging to any particular breed.

For the three from the store, they are most likely some version of Red Sexlink. Females are typically red with white feathers in their wings and tails and a few other places, and they grow up to lay nice brown eggs. They are sold with many different names (Golden Comet, ISA Brown, Red Star, Golden Sexlink, Red Sexlink, and many others.) They are the most common kind of chicken to have that coloring.

If they grow up to lay green eggs, they would probably be Starlight Green Eggers.

If they turn out to be males, then they would not be Red Sexlinks (because that coloring is female-only in Sexlinks), but they could be Starlight Green Eggers or they could be something else (but I can't easily think of what the "something else" might be.)
Wow!! That was incredibly helpful information! Thank you so much for taking the time out to explain all that to me!

Back
Top Bottom