Christopher28fair

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 14, 2010
It's widely considered rude, in the chicken community, to throw feed at your chickens, hitting them with their own dinner. Yet you will notice that - despite your best efforts - one hen or another will invariably run UNDER the feed you have just thrown, showering her like a common cow. After several years tending to chickens, I would now like to share the proper technique for avoiding this problem. Take your handful of feed, and take careful aim AT one of your prize chickens. THROW the feed right AT HER! I promise you, she will already have vacated that spot, and every bit of feed will land safely on the ground. Using this technique, you will never hit another hen with feed your entire life. Thank you.

It's widely considered rude, in the chicken community, to throw feed at your chickens, hitting them with their own dinner. Yet you will notice that - despite your best efforts - one hen or another will invariably run UNDER the feed you have just thrown, showering her like a common cow. After several years tending to chickens, I would now like to share the proper technique for avoiding this problem. Take your handful of feed, and take careful aim AT one of your prize chickens. THROW the feed right AT HER! I promise you, she will already have vacated that spot, and every bit of feed will land safely on the ground. Using this technique, you will never hit another hen with feed your entire life. Thank you.
:yuckyuck
Tangential, but I can't help but mention it: I have a visually-impaired Muscovy drake and I really do try to "ping" him with treats because otherwise he doesn't know they're there. When he feels a chunk of (homemade) bread bounce off his back, he knows to snap his bill in that direction. My aim's pretty good now with all the practice! :D

:gig:gig:lau:lau:yuckyuck

I promise you, she will already have vacated that spot, and every bit of feed will land safely on the ground. Using this technique, you will never hit another hen with feed your entire life. Thank you.

Hmm, mine need to read your notes then. I've always thrown snacks at them (not anything large of course, though I think I did bonk one with a small tomato before). They DO NOT vacate. Instead they stand there with their mouths open, like baby birds, even though they rarely can actually catch anything that way. Sometimes a dried grub or a leaf or some chunks of cauliflower will go for a ride on one of their backs for a few minutes, until another chicken notices the moving buffet.

Back
Top Bottom