How to supplement calcium when they won’t consume enough oyster shell?

When feeding oyster shells and egg shells I try to provide variation in sizes for both. I microwave my eggshells thoroughly, then crush; some are tiny, some are slightly larger so the girls have a choice. I bought a 50# bag of crushed oyster shells (less expensive, lasts a long time) but I scoop through the bag for that variation in size, since some pieces seem to be too big for the girls to consume.

They get a couple handfuls of scratch grains to lock them up in the run at night, and they free range most of the day every day, which includes access to our compost pile where they often clean up anything on there, including eggshells.
If I were you I would stop feeding scratch because that's taking away from them getting a balanced diet... Which is contributing to the egg shell issue/if not solely causing it.

Have you thought about using a layer type feed?

If I were you I would stop feeding scratch because that's taking away from them getting a balanced diet... Which is contributing to the egg shell issue/if not solely causing it.

Have you thought about using a layer type feed?
We used to use the layer feeds but I’ve since switched away from layer feeds because of chicks in the coop and the fact that I don’t have access to a layer feeds that have more than 16% protein.

The two handfuls of scratch grains they get each night are barely more than two pecks each when you consider they are spread among 40+ birds (which I forgot to mention in original post), so I doubt they are making a significant difference to their overall intake.

I’m not sure on the brand but it is the ones that look like white pebbles…off to search for flaked oyster shells!
My girls will eat the pebble version. but don't like it as well as the flakes, which my local feed store can no longer get. The product below is linked to by a previous responder; on Amazon (this link) you can get a nice discount for your first order if you set up a subscription. Read labels carefully; this 5-pound box is 100 percent oyster shells, but some also contain sea shells.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BN39CRR1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We used to use the layer feeds but I’ve since switched away from layer feeds because of chicks in the coop and the fact that I don’t have access to a layer feeds that have more than 16% protein.

The two handfuls of scratch grains they get each night are barely more than two pecks each when you consider they are spread among 40+ birds (which I forgot to mention in original post), so I doubt they are making a significant difference to their overall intake.
You're probably right about so little scratch doing any harm, but you could offer dried mealworms as a night treat instead. Expensive, but high protein (around 50 percent), and chickens love them.

Back
Top Bottom