How to make 'em drink

Mister B

Songster
8 Years
Feb 7, 2013
NW Alabama
I did a little fruit basket turnover this weekend. I put up a cross fence and moved the adult chickens to the old goat barn and let them free range in the grown over goat pasture. I moved the 6-8 week old chicks to the old adult chicken run. I had installed a watering station with nipples for the adults. Will the young chicks find the water as well? I added a step so they can get up to the nipples. I touched them so that water ran out. They got really excited to find the water on the wood step, but never figured out to touch the nipples. Will they figure it out?

When we installed our system, I held one of the birds up to the nipple and used her beak to get the water. The other birds did a double-take and immediately started using it appropriately. They just need to see how to use it.

Mine figurd it out. I did the same press the brd beak at the nipple and the rest followed. I did this in the morning the first day, then again after giving them a half a day to get thristy... so when they saw the water the second time they were motivated to figure it out... and they all came over to get water.

THANKS!! I caught a couple and held them to the nipple and made them drink. They ran all around the area, but never stepped up to it. I had to take my wife and girls to the store, so I left them to it. When I got back, I went out to their pen. There they were, pecking at the water nipples. Thanks for the help. I was worried they wouldn't find the water.

Back
Top Bottom